Towing with a '10

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USA Harmening

Reaction score
I am new to towing and am considering buying a RV-trailer. What we looked at today and liked today is an '08 Rockwood Roo 26RS and that has a dry weight of 4280. My '10 Trac with 4.0 towing capacity with Class III/IV is 5080 lbs.

Do I have to include the weight of my passengers and all in-truck cargo? Or do I have 800 lbs to spare in the trailer?

How do you think she'd do?

Buy a bigger truck or a smaller trailer. Advertised weights of travel trailers are infamous for being understated, sometimes severely. I wouldn't be surprised if empty that trailer was almost at the max capacity of your ST, and that's before figuring water, food, propane and alot of other things that you will end up packing in to it.

your towing capacity also includes all items in the truck and box.. 800 lbs is not a lot when you add 2 adults, 2 children, food, clothing toys, water if you dry dock. etc. and what kind of towing (terrian).

I was towing a 19 ft hybrid of 2800lbs when all was said and done, the trailer was over 3600lbs alone, and i still had a truck box full. I am sure i was up to the 4000 lbs mark. that was just my wife and I .

We have a lot of large hills here, and the poor truck was in the slow lane for all of them.

If i had to redo it, I would go full size with a v8. (then i could also get a bigger trailer)

Short answer is yes, that 800 lbs is for your passengers and cargo in the truck.

The towing capacity is a number that is derived by subtracting the weight of the truck (Gross Vehicle Weight) from the maximum weight of the truck plus the trailer (Gross Combined Weight Rating). The GVW in the towing capacity assumes the driver is 150 pounds, and there are no passengers or cargo. So if you have 800 pounds to play with, that will be the weight of your passengers, cargo, your driver's weight above 150 lbs, and anything you add to the trailer.

When towing, you have to stay under the GCWR of course, but you also have to look at GVWR (the R stands for rating) which is the maximum weight of the truck. This is the dry weight of the truck plus your driver, passengers, cargo, and don't forget... tongue weight. Also, with lots of cargo plus tongue weight, you could go over the rear axle rating before hitting the GVWR.

All of these calculations (with examples) are in the owner's manual. Since your trailer is so heavy, I think you're getting close to the maximum. So I 1up 1Tech's suggestion. Your ST will probably be fine to tow it home when you buy it, but you don't have enough towing capacity to haul it loaded down for a trip. You're in the same boat as I am with my boat. The ST will pull it around locally, say to the shop. But I use my wife's Armada to haul it long distance or on a trip when we're loaded.

Rent something the same weight and take it for a tow. Test the feel and truck. The gen2 is a beast of a truck. I am sure with Electric brakes and anti sway you should be fine.

Todd Z

Latest posts