Towing with factory bumper

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 16ft aluminum boat - very light. Can I tow this off a ball on the factory bumper on a 2004 4X4 6cyc - will the bumper hold? I saw the towing instructions in the manual but I didn't know if they were with the factory bumper or a hitch. Thanks

I had no problem towing our 19ft aluminum boat, or two waverunners. You'll be fine, especially with the 4x4. I never had a problem getting our boat up the ramp, and that's with 4x2.

Just be careful not to turn to sharp cause the trailer will like dent the bumper. Not sure how to explain it, but it's because the ball hitch is recessed into the bumper.

Here's a lesson I learned the hard way. When you use the bumper hitch, grunt your trailer over to the ST, don't back into it. $$$$

Never had any problems using the bumper to tow the "SS Gina Marie" with my old Ranger. I I expect no problems with the ST. Of course with the current temperature at 8 degrees, I may have to wait a while.

[Broken External Image]:

Personally , I prefer using a bolt on frame mounted hitch . I've seen some sport tracs with the back bumpers twisted down out of alighnment from towing trailers , I've seen licenses plates beat all up and bumpers skinned up , I've done a lot of this to my own vehicles to . I put a Hidden Hitch on my st as soon as I bought it . It's paid off several times . Had an old woman rearend me at a stop light , no damage to the st but the hitch ball gouged a big hole in the front of her car .Seemed liked when it was new , everybody wanted to bump into it and the hitch saved me every time . If you get one installed , just keep it in your mind that it's there cause they don't give when you walk into them . Hurts like h--- ..:eek: