Trac can't get above 3 on tach

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 01 Sport Trac has limited power. At full throttle, you can't get above 3 on the tach. Checked the fuel pump seems to be working, any suggestions.....Please. Thanks, Candi:(

Canid, Big D is correct. This is a built in safety feature so as not to hurt the engine. In a no-load situation, (neutral and park for example) the engine will not allow itself to go over 3000 RPM's...

Hey thanks so much for the replies. But...it has the same problem when driving. When driving at low speed, it runs fine but upon acceleration, it loses power and tries to "die" and gets worse as you drive. I called the Ford Dearlership and was told it sounded like the fuel filter, we replaced that as well as plugs and wires and nothing has helped. Any new suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Candi

Possibly the Throttle Position Sensor, yes. This week we had the same problem on my wife's Taurus. I replaced the fuel filter first, that didn't fix it. Took it to the shop I use, they checked the fuel pressure, cleaned the MAF, etc. etc. He called a Ford tech he knows who told him to check the Camshaft Position Sensor, which is what the problem turned out to be.

Last edited by a moderator: