Trac dies when coming to a stop, any suggestions?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les C

Reaction score
Twice last night when I was coming to a slow[normal] stop my 2001 4x2 Trac would shudder/sputter & die, but both times [an hour apart] it would immediately start again. This happen back in Oct. & like to have never restarted in heavy rush hour traffic, that time best I remember it would restart & die repeatly. And prior to last Oct. it had done in maybe twice before.

No eng. lights etc. on prior to or after... I figure no need to take it to the dealer for fear of their famous "sorry, can't duplicate it excuse ". I can't make it do it, but it does it w/out much notice. You can kind of tell it's going to do it, it's weird if I say so myself, it hasn't left me stranded yet, knock on wood!

Anyone w/similiar symptons advice would be greatly appreciated. Who knows it may not do it again for 6 months.

Thanks!

Trouqe Converter not coming out of lockup. Does it act like a standard transmission and you did not push in the cluch? Had two cars that did that and it would not happen all the time.

The 2 above suggestions are good to check out. Also it could be where you are buying your gas. Maybe alittle moisture sometimes. I say this because it being intermittent at times so far apart.

Thanks guys so far:

Stonemiser... I will clean the IAC again, I've done that before for the "famous" rough idle

Robert 11...I've never driven a stick shift so wouldn't know about that, sorry! but my wife's 1st comment was it felt like transmisson...I know she's smarter than me, but didn't think she would know more about Tracs! haha! I do remember now thinking back to last Oct. when it didn't want to restart & stay running that I had to put it in 2nd gear finally to get it the run smoothly. You maybe on to something there. Did you do anything to your two cars or just put up w/it? It's about 6k miles from it's 4th transmission flush due.

Fast Eddie '04... I buy BP gas, the current tank was put in Monday Feb. 25th, we were on Spring Break in wife's Maxima Feb 29-Mar9, it was & parks in my garage, could be I guess!

Again thanks!

You say you cleaned the IAC before. Might need replacing. I posted a link to article a few month ago. It walks you thru how to test the IAC. Try a search using my alias.

edit; link below

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this problem with my 01'. I tried several things including cleaning the IAC. I finally fixed it when I took apart the thottlebody and cleaned it.

I had the exact same problem. When you come to a stop and its going to stall, if you put it in neutral does it NOT stall?

Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid.

I think it was a few hundred bucks to fix, I spent hours looking for hose leaks etc, but I always knew in my heart that it was something transmission related. If your wife says transmission, this is what it is and don't waste any more time trying this and that!

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: