Trac is Back!!! Added Off-Road Lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Housman

Reaction score
I finally got my Trac back after a loooooong ordeal with Jasper Engines and the shop I took it to. Long story short....on Sept 4 the Trac sucked a valve. Explored my options on what to do and decided to get a Jasper motor shipped to the shop it was at. The shop doesn't have an account so he told me if I bought it and had it shipped there he would put it in for me. Motor was $4600 before the core and install was about $2000. They installed it, I paid. After it was installed it had a low end knock immediately on startup. I talked to Jasper they sent a new motor and the shop installed it. Jasper sent the motor "goodwill" at no charge but after it was examined at the factory they determined the motor "injested" some metal during the install to cause the knock. The shop swears up and down that it was not their fault and they did nothing to cause the knock. After talking to the shop and getting more details I tend to believe the shop. Since Jasper claimed it was not a defect the shop now wanted $1500 from me to install the second motor. After arguing back and forth with the shop and Jasper me and my wife talked to a lawyer and decided to pay the money to get the truck back. We may pursue this further depending on a few things but we have written a letter to the better business bureau. I was left feeling there is really no protection for the consumer.

After all is said and done it is so great to have my truck back. I have been driving my wife's Mazda Protege5 this whole time and what a difference. When I got in the truck I felt like I was 30 feet off the ground. The truck has never been so quiet and never driven so nice. So, to celebrate getting it back my wife bought me a set of off road lights to put on my safari bar. Here's some pics.....

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Now I have a question about the above pic. I hooked up the power wire to the power(?) box there in the pic. The set came with an illuminated switch which obviously stays illuminated whether the lights are on or off. Is this going to drain my battery significantly and if it is is there a better place to connect the power to? Thanks for the help.

IMO jasper motors is trying to get away with having to pay your mechanic, for the second install. I seen this happen before to numerous people I know. Especially when the mechanic is not a client of the motor rebuilder.

funny you say that. as i talked to more and more people and the shop talked to more and more shops this seemed to happen a lot with Jasper. They seem to try to get out of warranty work as well. It's just a sh*tty situation that unfortunately I got caught in the middle of.

i didn't know of any other motor company. the shop had mentioned it. so i gave them a call. they seemed to be pretty reputable.