TracLoc Clutch Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Mason

Reaction score
I think the clutch pack in my rear differential is shot. I jacked up the rear and rotated one wheel and the other rotates freely. I've been hearing some noise from it in the last couple of days. Has anyone out there replaced the clutch pack? If so, how hard is it? I see Rock Auto has the kit in stock for around $93, any better deals?

It is not a hard DIY if your good with wrenchs. Are you familiar with differential work?

If you do it or someone else. Replace with the carbon fiber clutches. Triple the life of oem type.

Another test IMO. Try to do a burn out. See if both tires lay rubber. The noise could be anything.

Yes, I am familiar with Differential work. I've never dialed in a new ring/pinion set so I was wondering if that was required. Doesn't seem like it should be. It's a 2002 4WD with 4:10 gears and 150k miles. I pulled one axle several years ago to replace the seal. Running Royal Purple + additive in it.

I rebuilt one in my '05. You can even rearrange the steel plates and clutches to get more grip than OEM. I did this and it made it much harder to turn one tire by hand independent of the other. still drove normally turning, etc... I have done this on a few ford 8.8 rebuilds with great results. once you get the rebuild kit and have the diff apart you will see what I mean..

The factory set up is Shim, Friction, Steel, Steel, Friction, Steel, Steel, Friction, Side Gear

The modded is Shim, Friction, Steel, Friction, Steel, Friction, Steel, Friction, Side Gear.

Latest posts