Traction-Lok Axle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Cann

Reaction score
Hi There,

I haven't been here for a while, but after going through a nasty winter in my truck, I must say this is the one gripe I have with these trucks. WHY did ford not put traction-lok axles in all of these trucks?? :banghead: They are light on the rear end and without a ton of weight, or running in 4x4 all the time, they are terrible in winter! Anyway, my question is, does anyone know what axles interchange with our trac's, if any? I want to try and swap out my open axle with a trac-lok axle and need to know what vehicles I can look under in wrecking yards. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can add an Ausi locker..... add a powertrax.... I installed a NEW posi from a cobra mustang.... 31 spline......

Ford offers the option because places where it is no snow or dry you don't need posi....

and honestly posi is worse in the snow if you don't know how to drive..

Todd Z

is the regular explorer rear end the same as the trac? because I went to the Aussi Locker and the powertrax websites and neither of them specifically show an application for the trac..

the 8.8 mustang 31 spline is the same rear.... Solid axle...

Todd Z

Lance,

have you verified what rear-end you have? You might have a TracLoc rear-end that has worn clutch plates.

If your Tag says 3L73 or 4L10, then you do. Then All you have to do is buy a rebuild kit.

It is the same as a 2002-earlier Explorer rear. 31 spline 8.8" is the ticket. I would install a Ford l/s or a Detroit True Trac.

Latest posts