trail runnin' in a 'lil mud

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Weber 2

Reaction score
Little light trail running, exploring the ST's 4x4 handling...some breathtaking moments that I didn't capture in a muddy field, where I realized how important the v8 is when doin' mud, and kept seeing that flashing RSC icon telling me that the traction control was HAPPENEN'[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Looks like the third pic would make a great ST of the month picture !!! ;);)

Todd Z

thanks for the suggestions...I will submit that one for a review for ST of the week...by the way, when wandering through a mud field, not shown here (coudldn't get out and snap pics), the traction control icon was lighting up, need to test that more:D

ok, I moved from Cali where our wheelin' was dry...kinda my first foray into mud (I mean extensive mud), and what I have to say is this:

took my 15 dollars and an hour at the car wash doing the manual spray wash to get most of the mud off, and lookin' underneath when I got back, there was tons more...gotta go back today with my creeper and some goggles to spray underneath. I am not sure I want to do this very often...not the muddin'

ok, I get it, hit enter after each pic AND again, for a little space between the two...by the way, these shots are not the muddin' I hit down the trail when all the grass was gone and it was a trail through a field, and not just a level trail either; bumps, holes, uneven spots, I have to say I wondered a few times about the possibility of getting stuck since I had not aired down, and the Gyear Forteras, while very good tires overall, are not exactly spec'd for that type of duty...real mud tires with plenty of horsepower sling mud off them, so that you continue to expose the traction...these guys got all enveloped in mud, yet I managed to get out...

ok, went back to the wash bay and spent another 5 bucks using the hand wand, brought my creeper and got kinda under it, cannot believe how much mud was still gunked up and around the IRS assembly...unreal.

Came home, put it up on ramps and used my jackstands for safety, then got under it, really under it, and still cannot believe how much mud is there...used the garden hose to rinse mud from the metal (crucial, since mud retains moisture and accelerates rusting, etc.).

Rest I will let dry, especially since we are doing a road trip from KC, MO to Columbia, MO, tomrorow...can knock the rest off when dry...

Really, really not muddin' again unless unintended and unavoidable...just not worth it

yes, it was so bad I couldn't get out and take more pics, though I would have liked to, I was not expecting to run into a real muddy section

Scootch, I wasn't going to go there. :lol:

The first time I took my ST off-road I had mud everywhere! Splashed on the windshield, roof, under the hood, on top of the engine. It oozed out for the next six months every time I washed it or drove in the rain.

[Broken External Image]:

This is a photo of the beginning of the trail. My first off-roading experience

[Broken External Image]:

The aftermath of a different trip, and it hadn't rained in five days prior to this, so I was surprised to even see mud on the trail I took.

i have some pics in my library of when i hit some trails and did a little mudding. some of the places we were at were specifically made for dirtbikes and very difficult to navigate through. how do i post pics so i can put them up instead of everyone having to look in my library? thanks.

Latest posts