Trailblazer SS w supplier discount

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Kolb

Reaction score
So I got an email from GM because I get the GM supplier discount. Turns out I can get a new Trailblazer SS with 390 hp for just a touch over $23000. That's new. And that's nuts, what is that like 10k under invoice? Too bad I'm not in the position to pay that much for a car right now, maybe in a year or two. Until then I'll keep the ST.

$32,000 for a Trailblazer? Jeeze....way too much money. Even if it does have almost 400 HP, it's not as if the chassis is any good and can handle it.

Wow, Q, try <i>reading</i>:

"...touch over $23000. That's new. And that's nuts, what is that like 10k under invoice?..."

You'll not sound like quite as big a dunce.

I remember configuring an SS Trailblazer that totaled to almost $40K. So when I saw $23K it sounded like a heck of a deal. But checking out Chevy's site, a base 2WD SS, starts out at $31,855. $23K is still $8K off sticker.

Where is all that money going towards? Chrome 20's, new bumper fascias and a small-block V8? Oh, can't forget about the exclusive interior appointments. Totally worth the $8-15,000 increase in price. I actually kinda like the looks of the TB SS, but damn'd if I'd want to try to hustle one around. At least it uses IRS, something I wish Ford would do on its 'performance icon', the Mustang uses a solid-axle to save money my ass...

At least it uses IRS, something I wish Ford would do on its 'performance icon', the Mustang uses a solid-axle to save money my ass...

Travis, does anyone know how popular/unpopular the IRS was on the Mustang Cobra a few years ago. I have a friend that is really into Mustangs. I am talking he owns 5 at a time. He buys and sells them for a profit, he buys them to drive, he buys buys buys.

With that being said, his comments was the IRS on the Cobra was a mistake and Mustang owners do not like them.

Tom

From what I always read/heard about the Cobra owners is that they didn't like the IRS in drag-racing applications, and many would swap them out for the solid axle. The IRS was weak, broke easily and caused awful wheel-hop. However, wasn't the Cobra the only one to have IRS? The rest still used solid-axle? That's the problem, you have a platform (the Fox) that was designed for and always used solid axles. Try to add an IRS and its just not gonna work, and it didn't.

Ford obviously had the ability to make a plenty strong and capable IRS, see the GT. And here they had the opportunity to really make a difference with the Mustang. Design a whole new car and still use old, less-capable solid axle? Just a dropped ball if you ask me. That just kinda irks me. A chance to reinvent an automotive icon, and corners were cut.

However, wasn't the Cobra the only one to have IRS? The rest still used solid-axle?

Yes, the Cobra was the only one with the IRS.

Ford obviously had the ability to make a plenty strong and capable IRS, see the GT. And here they had the opportunity to really make a difference with the Mustang. Design a whole new car and still use old, less-capable solid axle?

The new Mustang was designed to use the IRS. It was not designed for the Solid Axle. Ford went with the Soilid Axle simply because the customers prefer that setup.

The Mustang is not a Sports Car. It is a pony car. The Mustang became popular and remained that way because it is a pony car and Ford kept it that way. I am sure a nice strong IRS would make it ride and handle great, but that is not what a pony car is.

The Mustang is a pony car. Keep it a pony car.

Tom