trailer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Toulan

Reaction score
I have an 04 I need to convert the 4 prong trailer plug to a seven so I can use the elertric brakes on a trailer. I would be greatfull for ny help.

I know they make a converter that will take a 7 prong to a 4 prong, perhaps that make a converter that will take your 4 to a 7.

My STA came w/a 7 & I went looking & found the 7 down to 4 converter & then found out on the bottom of my factory OEM 7 there is a 4 too.

Seems they make a converter for every possible application.

You need to wire it in by hand. get a 7 pin pre-wired receptacle, that as the fat-4 already wired in... I tapped into my back up lights for reverse signal, my 12v outlet for + 12v, and bought a 12/3 extension cord and ran it through the frame up to the engine compartment to get the signal from the brake controller.. the controller needs +12v from battery, run it through a fuse and circuit breaker.. the controller also needs a brake light signal, which you can get either under the rear bumper, or better yet, tap in to the CHMSL fuse in the fuse panel on the left side of the dash... I put my controller where the ash tray was, but they make really small ones nowadays... I would reccomend putting it within arm's reach, when you are in the driver's seat without stretching... there are a few pictures in my library, and if you search towing in the archives, you'll find a lot of info on the subject... HTH

I just wired my 03 this past summer and I had shopped around for the individual components and then found a kit at etrailer.com. I could not find a better price ($57.55)considering everything that is included.

25' of duplex wire in an abrasion-resistant cover

◦Heavy duty 10-gauge wire

Pre-wired 7 and 4 way connector with mounting bracket

◦7-Way connector plugs into existing 4-way trailer connector on vehicle

Heavy duty breakers

◦(1) 20 amp, (1) 30 amp, and (1) 40 amp (for 12v hot lead)

Ring connectors for battery and breaker hook-up

Quick splice wiring connectors

Self-tapping screws

Tie straps

Wire loom for a professionally installed appearance

http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/ETBC7.html

It came with great step by step instructions and they also have an installation video on their website.

Latest posts