Tranny #2... Flashing O/D light of death!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerry Matthews

Reaction score
OK, so back in May, I had my tranny replaced with a Ford rebuilt tranny. I had 92k on my rig. Today, I'm heading over to Downtown Ford to have the oil changed and have a new steering wheel installed. I start up the Trac and head on down the road... Whoa! What's this? The flashing O/D light of doom! For the 4th time since I had the tranny installed!!! And I turned 95k today. 3k and trouble... So I pull in to Ford, show it to Wade, and he drives it into the shop and has 'em pull the code right then. P0733. Slippage. So they're gonna do a solenoid rebuild under warranty as soon as the kit comes in, and I have time to leave it... This doesn't look good... At least the new steering wheel looks good!

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks Krash! I'm having some tranny woes myself. Just 5K on my remanufactured tranny (installed at 28K miles) and it's starting to leak again. Looks like it's coming from the servos on the passenger side of the pan. It started doing this after a long drive where the Trac had to downshift a couple of times because AC was consuming some of the power. If I drive easy it stops leaking but it will start again after hard acceleration. Otherwise my Trac feels great. I plan on visiting the dealership...again.

You were able to get a code??? When ever I have the O/D light flashing, my ScanGage says there are no error codes in the system. Grrr!

The code that came up was P0733. Tech sez something about a band slipping. That's why they're gonna do a solenoid rebuild. So far it's only been the O/D light... No problems with shifting. But even having the light come on makes me uneasy. That's why I'm glad it came on today on the way to the dealer. How lucky can I be??? Imagine, a code light coming on while driving to the dealership!!:rolleyes:

Rodger, I doubt I'd have time to corroborate their code anytime soon. I'm dogsitting a friend's Boston terriers, and one of 'em got out and took off on Sunday afternoon. I'm a dead man walking unless I find that dog...

And the Caddy's gotta go in for 'repairs' in the morning...

(I forgot the liftgate was up and tried to back into the garage at the Tahoe house. Oops. Wiped out the rear window wiper motor. $250. Ouch. Good news is, they're gonna 'warranty' it for a couple of pizzas for lunch tomorrow. :cool: )

Last edited by a moderator:
thats the time that it takes to release second gear and grab third...

The ST tranny will NOT grab the next gear until it senses that the last gear was released...

Then it slips until the whole thing has shifted and then lock into gear..

Causing a good old self distruction....

I am sooooooooooooo glad i put in my converter, shift kit, new epc and larger tranny pan...

Not to mention the xcal....

Todd Z

What i'd like to see is someone put a DIFFERENT tranny all together in thier pre-07 ST....

Its like russian roulette it seems even having a ford rebuilt tranny installed.

Whoever takes on this task, im right behind them with mine... No problems to date after the rebuild, but its like im just waiting for the bad news in the next while.

Id attempt to have an alternate tranny installed, I just dont have the time for the research, etc...