Tranny cooling line ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieS'04

In Memoriam 1950-2022
Reaction score
I bought the summit trans filter kit. It is papered as a summit kit,$28. It is actually a relabeled $80 perma-cool kit. Filter included.

Im trying to trace the discharge line from the trans. I know it comes to the radiator first, then the air cooler. My confusing is. In the past automatics I dealt with. The discharge on the trans was the top line and return is the bottom. My AOD on my '88 302 was.

When I trace the lines from the cooler the lines at the trans are reverse of my experiance????

So I dont have to start it and make a mess. Is the top or bottom line on the radiator discharge from the trans? That is the one I have to splice into.

Hey Eddie... I just ordered the exact same trans remote filter kit as yours from summit - it should be here tomorrow or the next day:banana:. I will be interesting to see if I get a perma-cool kit like you did. I will install it this weekend. I hope someone knows the answer to your question, because I was wanting to know the same on my '05. If you get it installed before I do mine - take a pick of the line. If I get mine installed before yours - I will do the same...

I believe it is back wards as you mentioned.... I remember it being funny when I did my tranny flush.....

Todd Z

Step # 5 in the Transmission Fluid Cooler Flow Test is

" Remove the cooler return line (top fitting) from the fitting on the transmission case. Connect one end of a hose to the cooler return line and route the other end of the hose up to a point where it can be inserted into the funnel at the fluid filler tube.

Last edited by a moderator: