Tranny Fix Update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
Went for a long drive today to test my shifting issues and found I don't have any shifting issues.

Drove both city and highway and have noticed an increase in my mpg's. I kept a close watch on my RPM's and have noticed a significant(sp) improvement in my RPM's not drifting as high as before while the truck went through its gears during acceleration.

Very, very smooth shifting compared to before. No hesitation whenever I got on it with the truck downshifting.....this seemed to always be an issue before with a 1-2 second delay after I pressed the pedal.

My issue I had when I first started the truck up after it had sat for aprox 12 hrs or more and it hesitated to go into gear, has also disappeared. This issue was my biggest concern since Ford's thinking it could have been a sticky valve or something. I'll be testing this over the next few weeks to see if the issue returns, but for now, it's working very well.

As I've stated elsewhere, I've never had the 'bump' deal while coming to a stop, but have felt some slipping while the truck was going from gear 2-3.....not anymore. Before I was finding that I had to let up on the gas while it made the transition going from 2-3, if I didn't, my RPM's would climb beyond 3K before the shift completed. Now, without getting on it, the RPM's don't go any higher than about 2.5K and the shifts are very smooth from one gear to the next.

I don't know if this 'fix' works with the earlier models, but without having to go deal with the dealers and getting or paying for some TSB that may or may not work, it's an easy first try fix.

If any of you are having these issues, give it a shot and report back on here what it did or didn't do for you. I'm just flabergasted over what it did for my truck. :D

Very, very smooth shifting compared to before. No hesitation whenever I got on it with the truck downshifting.....this seemed to always be an issue before with a 1-2 second delay after I pressed the pedal.

My issue I had when I first started the truck up after it had sat for aprox 12 hrs or more and it hesitated to go into gear, has also disappeared.

BOTH are problems I was noticing....thought it was "Just how it was" and I better get used to it....looks as though this may be my "FIX"

Just a question, but is the tranny learning a one time thing?

If you drive it "like you stole it" for a tank or two, then drive like a grandpa after that, will the tranny readjust (assuming no battery reset)?

I drove mine hard after doing the reset thing this morning and it was fabulous. I went back to my usual driving ways, and it seems to have reverted back to it's old ways, but just not as bad.

I really don't know what the long term affect will be, but I've put aprox 200 miles on my truck since I did mine, not driving like a maniac, but at the same time not driving like I'm on my last tank of gas.

From a stop go, stop go......the trans is shifting extreamly well. And when I do get on it.....all I can say is wow....it takes off like the V8 I expected it to for this type of truck.

I really don't expect this to be the fix for everyone, but it sure has been the fix for me with the issues I was having.

A week from now.......let's see if it continues....I will report my findings on how well it continued to shift, etc.

Adam.......since you just did yours this morning......I don't know how long it takes to set in on this relearning thing, but I intend on driving mine in the medium range for a week or two. I don't know squat about these learning transmissions, but maybe you need to alow a longer time for it to learn how you want it to shift.

Kinda like school, you can't expect a student to learn the subject in just one day :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove mine hard after doing the reset thing this morning and it was fabulous. I went back to my usual driving ways, and it seems to have reverted back to it's old ways, but just not as bad.

If I remember correctly, Dingo said to abuse the truck for about 3 tanks of gas. So, I'm assuming it takes about 1000 miles for it to fully adapt and decide how the truck shifts. I'm currently trying it out on my Gen 1 and can't say I've really seen much of a difference. Then again, I'm running a 93 torque tune and the Gen 1 tunes were able to modify the transmission, whereas the Gen 2 trucks have a separate transmission computer.

Latest posts