Tranny Flare!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Levin

Reaction score
Ever since I put the the overside tranny pan in I've had the 2-3 flare. It's awful. After I drive for about 10-20 minutes it goes away. any idea why change the filter fluid and pan would make this appear? I didn't have the problem prior to this.

Bill-e, yes. the new pan holds 4 quarts over stock so I made sure to put enough fluid in.

XST, The old pan was tossed on saturday when I did the install. It had a pretty bad leak which was the reason I went with the new pan.

Once the truck is warm it goes away. I tried putting in a different tune with my xcal but it didn't make a difference. I had done the pressure adjustment way back when, wondering if I should drop the pan and do it again, maybe the larger pan requires more pressure???

How much fluid did you need...

DID you install a 4wd filter ?? ( there is a difference between 2wd and 4wd)

DID you replace the 2 orings on the filter???

DID you use the correct bolt for the filter ??? ( there are 2)

DID you check the level again, and after driving it on LEVEL ground ??

Todd Z

May I ask how you confirmed if it was the correct stuff ??

Todd Z

the filter was exactly the same as the one I replaced. (I've already done the filter twice) There were 2 o-rings, 1 large and 1 small, just like the notches that they were being placed in. The new filter came with a new bolt. It was a filter and seal kit.

The new bolt is NOT to be used..... It is different, the instructions say that if the kit is being used on earlier transmissions then you use the bolt...

That could be the problem,.,, The bolts sometimes are too long and the filter is not seated right...

Just a thought...

ALSO didn't you use a different fluid ????

Todd Z

Todd, The new bolt was a shorter one, in the paperwork that came with the tranny filter it said to use the shorter bolt, not the longer one. that is what I did. I used mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

I mentioned in an earlier post not to use the syn trans fluid, unless you were going to flush the whole tranmision. What was left in the torque converter wont mix with the synthetic.....There is your problem...

Was it a motorcraft filter or something else ???

And mixing the fluid as Ed said can do it too... Don't know what was in there before ??

Todd Z

Third time the fluid has been replaced. It's never been flushed and it's been synthetic each time.

It wasn't a motorcraft, it was bought at Napa and came in a red box

I wounder if the filter is too restrictive, OR something with the fluid, If you just keep adding 4 qts at each service of synthetic.. normally unless flushed 100% you can not mix the synthetic and the regular merc V... and I would never do that any way...

The merc V is a part synthetic any way...

Todd Z

Fluid you used it too thick ??

Todd Z

Hey JLeving

I'd like to know the brand and model of tranny pan you purchased. I starting a towing business soon with my ST and would like to upgrade a few parts starting with the tranny. If anyone else has a really good Aftermarket tranny pan let me know Thanks