Tranny Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake Levin

Reaction score
I should be getting my new deep tranny pan today and this Saturday will be installing it. I was wondering what type of tranny fluid people were using and wanted to verify the weight. Also do I need any additives?

2002 Job 2 4X4

Thanks guys and gals

Motorcraft MercV in the black bottle... Thats all I use

you will need 9-10 qts due to the pans 4 extra qts and the 4-5 for the normal service...

You changing the filter and pan gasket also ???

The ST gaskets are not reusable...

Todd Z

the filter in there right now only have 10-15 K on it and the fluid and gasket is less then 2 months old . Plan is to reuse the filter but replace the gasket. I even have a replacement filter already in case I decide the current one needs it. Going to the store today to get the stuff for Saturday.

ok cool, Replace the gasket, Check the filter, Do the EPC and have fun !!!!

Todd Z

woppy,

More fluid can be stored, The pan is an aluminum pan with cooling ribs on it....

Thus the tranny has more fluid, and can run cooler...

Todd Z

Royal Puple Max ATF is a synthetic, high performance, long life, multipurpose, automatic transmission fluid.

It's more oxidation stable than other transmission fluids for a longer fluid life. Max ATF's low co-efficient of friction and high film strength help to dramatically reduce heat and wear.

Automatic transmissions generate a great deal of heat and depend on the transmission fluid for cooling and protection. More than 90 percent of all automatic transmission failures are caused by overheating.* A drop of 20°F in fluid temperature can double the life of the transmission.*

Max ATF significantly reduces heat to extend the life of your transmission and is recommended for all automatic transmissions requiring Ford Mercon® or GM Dexron® III transmission fluids.

Max ATF is fully compatible and can be mixed with other automatic transmission fluids; however, for the best results drain or flush the current oil and then fill with Max ATF.

Wal-Mart sells Castrol Mercon V, also Mobil 1 ATF was recently made Mercon V compatible. If you get the Mobil 1 make sure it's the newer stuff though.