Tranny issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
Just got a WONDERFUL call from my Ford dealer. I took in my ST because I had an issue with my A/C, so I downloaded my stock tune back into the ST before taking it in. When I put the stock tune in I felt a slip in my tranny. He just called me and told me my tranny is shot!! They have to call Ford on Monday and see how they want to fix it.

The 2 options are

1. Rebuilding the existing tranny which will take a few days to get parts.

2. Replace with a remanufactured tranny.

I am supposed to leave for Moab, UT on Wed and they say it will be slim to get it done in time, because they have to wait on Ford.:angry:

Thank goodness for the ESP plan, it will only cost 50.00 and I have a free rental car.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have any choice in the matter, choose the factory rebuilt transmission over the Dealer rebuilt. Transmission repairman at dealerships are notorious for lousy work. If they were really any good they would have their own shop and making a lot mor money.

...Rich

whoa. ARGH... i really need to fix my slip... i have to come out of pocket completely if the tranny goes.... sorry to hear ur story! good luck!

I 3rd what rich said. I have had better success with vehicles in the past, at dealships, with a factory rebuilt.

If you are paying out of pocket, I would shop around independents with a good name. Some of them I have found, know rebuild tricks that make a better trans.

I wounder if the tranny was still learning the stock tune again, and nothing is wrong...

Todd Z

Yeah, from my experience flashing the pcm (to new tune or back to stock) without first disconnecting the battery for a while, resulted in some "funny" shifting.

I was wondering the same thing, Todd Z.

It's an unlikely coincidence that Chad felt a slip after going back to stock, then service tech Barney Fife claims the tranny is shot.

TJR

Do you feel lucky?

Tell him about the tune, and the dealer doesn't want to fix it (and then it breaks on the long trip)?

Tell him about the tune, and he invalidates your warranty?

Don't tell him about the tune, and then he tears into your now perfectly good transmission, puts in a bad rebuild, and looses half the fasteners and clips putting it back in (so you have nothing but trouble from now on)?

I hope you are caught up on your prayers... you have one out of four chances of this thing ending on a good note.

Gavin, re. "Do you feel luck?"

As I have asked many times before..."Are we having fun modding yet?"

Warranty voiding was the #1 reason I never did any mods beyond the cosmetic ones.

TJR

If I go from tune to stock, my tranny will slip. If I disconnect the battery and plug it back in, it will shift fine.

I would be willing to be there is nothing wrong with your tranny.

As for a complete rebuild, a local shop can do a complete rebuild for less that $2 G's. The dealer was about $200.00 more than the local shop was.

If the factory rebuilt tranny does not have the upgraded parts, it is no different than the stock one. A rebuilt one with the upgraded parts is worth having an upgrade.

Tom

Under Magnusson-Moss, Ford would have to PROVE that the mod caused the damage. Just having a mod should not void the warranty. However, as a matter of practicality, most dealer service departments and factory service engineers become a-holes when they see a mod and then try to deny warranty coverage.

If you can get a good lawyer and find the expert witnesses to back you up, your warranty claims should not be denied just because there is a mod to the truck.

If you can get a good lawyer and find the expert witnesses to back you up, your warranty claims should not be denied just because there is a mod to the truck.

But, while the attorneys are fighting it out, you are stuck with not getting the vehicle repaired unless you pay, and then if your attorney wins, you get your money back.

I called the dealer this morning and asked them to put the tranny pan back on, and disconnect the battery and let the PCM reset. The service advisor agreed with me and said he would contact me with the results. I reminded him that I am supposd to leave on a trip by Wednesday and asked if the tranny is bad can they just get a replacement unit in lieu of rebuilding it themselves. So I will have to wait and see what happens this morning.

The dealer took it apart and found the following.

1. Needs a new valve body.

2. Needs a new servo??

3. Needs a new band?