Tranny issues (new one)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted regarding my 07 V8 tranny.

Update: I had the typical tranny issue that everyone seemed to have regarding the banging into 1st gear when stopping. It isn't all the time, but it still happens. I've had the TSB's done but the issue is still there. I did the "Dingo - drive it like you stole it" method and it still persists. I guess Dingo's method didn't work because I had the TSB done several times before so I guess I have to live with it - and yes, I did disconnect the battery, touch the ends together and let it sit for 30 minutes like instructed.

Well, now I have a new issue that's been popping up recently. I get a shifting flare when it shifts from 5th to 6th gear. Again, not all the time but it's happening more frequently lately. I've read a lot about this problem with older STs and with more mileage on their trannys. I only have 22K miles on mine.

Has anyone with the 07/08 V8's experienced this flaring when shifting?

I'm spending way too much time there - they should put me on their payroll. The ONLY thing I bring it in for is the tranny and it doesn't do it all the time. Of course, I can't get it to duplicate when I bring it in. I'll keep trying. :angry:

Seems you have enough record with ford on the trans issue. I would tear it up. Rev it in nuetral and slam it in gear until it breaks. Let them tow and put a new trans in it.:eek:

Jimmy.....

Sorry the Dingo fix didn't work for you.....as I posted a reply in another thread, it worked great for me and solved all my issues I was having with mine.

The Dingo Fix worked for a short period in my vehicle. It still flares between gears once in awhile. Not as bad as before. I'm living with it for now. I'm actually thinking of lemonning the truck because of it and getting an o8 MKZ instead. Of course...I like Ford and I would prefer not to make my life harder :)

psycareyo.......sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

It's been about three weeks for me now and mine feels like I have a new trans installed.

Before, I noticed that my rpm's would climb to about 3K before it would shift, but now it just climbs to about 2k while shifting in the lower gears.

After the battery trick, I drove it harder than I normally would for about a week, but I don't drive it like I used to as I was trying to save every drop of gas. I am seeing better milage as well since my rpm's are lower now. The trans shifting feels tighter and smoother as well.

My biggest issue was that slipping when first going into gear which is now completely gone.

I still think this 'adaptive learning' crap that Ford came up with was a big mistake and they really need to dive in and find something that will fix that issue for these trans. since there have been so many issues with them.

Would someone please explain what the battery trick is, and how to do it? My 07 needs a trick or something. Hard down shift and don't want to move out of its tracks when it's first started

Would someone please explain what the battery trick is, and how to do it? My 07 needs a trick or something. Hard down shift and don't want to move out of its tracks when it's first started

It's simple.......just pull both battery cables off your battery, touch them together for a sec and leave it disconnected for about 30 min. Then reconnect them and go drive your truck "like you stole it" for about a week. Your tranny will relearn how to shift like you want it to.

:D Yes

You will just have to reset your clock and radio statations.......your door lock code will still be saved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts