Tranny or rear end??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kirk Risseler

Reaction score
I have noticed a very slight slipping when taking off hard from a dead stop. Its not bad enough to feel like its in neutral, but you can feel it catch and go. Only happens for a split second and only noticable when stomping on it. Other then that the tranny feels great. Strong and shifts well, kicks down in passing great and have towed my camper a couple time with no problems. I bought it used with 56,000 miles and its an '01 job 1 with the 4,10ls.

Thanks for any help.

-Kirk

The clutches in the 4.10 LS rear are known for causing that feeling......

I changed the fluid in my 04 and added the additive and it is about 80% better....

I don't drive the truck So IT doesn't get beat on....

Todd Z

Todd, so this is normal?? I mean there isnt anything wrong with it? I have never had a limit slip before and am kinda surprised that they do this.

I do not understand how the LSD can make that feeling. The limited slip is just a clutch between the spider gears that help provide friction to keep both wheels slipping. When the clutches slip, it acts like a regualr differential.

I just can not understand how the LSD can make that feeling.

Tom

Tom,

On some LSD rear ends the clutches are actually on the back of both spider gears, thus if one side is week you will feel that slight slip on take off....

Some manufacturers use 1 clutch and a thrust washer, some two clutches...

Todd Z

Yes, but it both wheels are on the same surface, the clutches never slip. How can that cause a slippage?

The spider gears lock together when both tires have equal traction.

I am not doubting you, I am just looking for clarification and understanding on how a clutch, that has nothing to do with the overall operation of a differential can make it slip.

Tom

The slipping feeling will happen if the wheels are just slightly off from each other...

My 04 never did it on a flat out straight take off, only in a slight turn to harsh turn....

I agree in a perfect straight, no difference in tire wear, or air pressure, you should not feel the slip....

Todd Z

Hummm, didn't mean to open this can of worms.............

I am not 100% sure how they work, but you both have good comments about it. With clutches involved I could see how a slipping feeling could happen. I have found there are different types of limited slip, on the little investigating I have done. So, you both may be right depending on what type we have in our Tracs.

But, back to my original question. W eare thinking its not the trans??

Could also be that the slip yoke on the rear driveshaft has dried out. Pull it out, grease it up, and slide it in. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator: