Tranny Problems with '07-advice?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Costin

Reaction score
Guys (and Gals),

I know there has been discussion on here about the transmission problems with the Sport Tracs, but I am looking for some help on next steps or if anyone knows if there has been a permanent fix to the problem. I guess I should say that I have an '07, 4x2, with a V6. After about 5,000-6,000 miles I started having a problem when I would get in the ST after it had been sitting for a little while...when I would get in it and drive slowly through a parking lot or something like that, it would want to lunge or jump on me like it was trying to find the right gear. After a couple of seconds of "getting warmed up" it would be fine until it sat again for a little while.

So I took it in about 2-3 months ago and they cleared the computer at around 9,500 miles, well it started acting up again a week or two ago. It now has 16,000 miles on it (after a long trip last weekend.)

Any news on permanent fixes for this problem? I don't want this to be a problem every 5,000 miles! Please help

I would disconnect the battery neg cable for about 20 min...... Let it re learn.... I doubt the dealer did that,...

The new ST runs the same 5r55 tranny so yours seem to be a unique issue..

Todd Z

The dealer will never disconnect the battery..... they just use the computer flasher to do a "clear".....

Todd Z

it is not the dealers responsibility. it is yours ! :lol:.a

another fine case of ford doesn't give a crap. just look how well they are doing, why would they want to satisfy the customer :rolleyes:

It's been over a month now and the probs I had with my tranny have not returned. I did drive it harder than I normally would for about a week after doing the "battery trick" (removing both cables and touching them together for a second, then leaving them off the battery for about 30 min.)

The issues for me were...

1. delay in going into gear after the truck sat for several hours

2. hesitation in downshifting whenever I got on it (such as dropping into passing gear on the fwy)

3. delay in the A/C coming on.

Resetting the computer and letting it do a "relearn" fixed these issues for me. No TSB has ever been performed on my truck, not sure if they would have fixed these issues.

My truck is an '07 4x2 V8

From what I've read on this site about TSB's and how they did or did not fix ppl's issues, I think Ford needs to change the name to TSBS

Thanks again Dingo for the advice, it has saved me hours of BS in having to deal with Ford's Service Dept. with my issues.

desfox,

glad to hear the self fix worked so far for you.

it's sad that ford puts that on the consumer while they "entertain" your complaints with a "fix" that is very questionable :(

Thx,

The sad thing with my dealership, you can't just take it in when you have a prob, you have to make an appt for when THEY are available to work on your car/truck if it's something more than just an oil change or something like that.

Not very good customer service for buying a car/truck from the same dealership and have to go thru a hastle to get it serviced. Will I buy from them again in the future??? Hell No!!

When I bought my '04 trac. I knew the trans had the adaptive learning. I drove it hard. Made it learn to shift to a specific driving style. Four years later it still shifts solid and positive.