Tranny question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
Well I think I finally found where the leaking tranny fluid is coming from. Thought it was the T-case, so I dropped it and put all new seals and gaskets in it. Well I still have the leak and it appears the pan gasket was over tightened by the great guys at the ford dealer.

So my question is, for those who have dropped the tranny pan, where all the parts needed to re-install available at parts stores (Autozone, oreilleys, etc) or did you have to go to the dealer? I figure I will replace the filter, gasket, and maybe do the shift motor mod/adjustment, and install a drain plug.

And how much fluid did you loose by dropping the pan?

Thanks

I apologize for wasting a post. I just found Shaws projects and they pretty much answer most of the questions. Except if I have to go to Ford for the filter and gasket.

Make sure of your tranny filter. I got one from Napa recently and it had a little tube around the inlet hole. The paperwork said that was for the 4x4 installation. I have a 2wd installation, which is almost flat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also if the pan was bent up at the bolt holes it needs to be straightened, that is common damage when it is overtightened,,,,

I get stuff like that from ford or my tranny guy.... The aftermarket caulk gaskets suck..

Todd Z