Tranny running hot...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
After my question on normal transmission operating temps, (answer being 160-170 degrees) I found that during my datalogging, mine's running at about 230 under normal conditions. Would old fluid make it run that hot? Would that also explain my slipped shifts and downshifting problems?

-Edit, all of my problems start after she warms up.

Last edited by a moderator:
IT can, But I would look at your Engine coolant Temp.... The tranny is cooled by your Coolant then the extra cooler...

IT could be the cooler in the radiator is clogging or the extra cooler is clogging...

Whats the engine run at ??

Todd Z

Well, I flushed the tranny today, and what came out was black. The downshifting problem seems to be resolved, but I still have the 2-3 flare. I'm still thinking about changing the #2 (I think) shift solenoid and adding a bottle of Trans-X and going from there...

I'm pretty sure you have a valve body gasket wore out. I took my ST to AAMCO with the 2-3 flare and they were honest and replace my EPC, Valve body. Ford fix/reprogramed the EPC with a more gradual vaccum so that is doesn't blow out the valve body gasket. In short AAMCO only cost me 700 buck. and things are great now.