Tranny update

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
i had to go up to the shop and get my sons car seat out of the ST. The owner shows me the tranny. There are only 3 parts that can be reused (case, and 2 small gears) he said he has never seen a tranny that destroyed before. All the clutches were welded together and onto the shafts, the bands were completely melted, and all the other parts were completely destroyed. So it will a brand new tranny except for the case.

He then asked if a chip in the truck. He said the motor with the modded program is putting out way to much torque for the tranny?? I am not real sure if I believe that or not. So I asked should I put a bigger cooler and pan on it. He said the OEM stuff is the best. I then said well apparently not since the entire tranny welded it self together. I kind of got a weird look after that.

So with that said I think it will be wise to put a bigger pan and larger/auxiliary cooler on it as well.

i doubt that your "mods" killed the tranny.

maybe todd z can answer this for you as from what i remember he may have gone with a larger cooler.

good luck

He may have been referring to the factory cooler, which is a good design. A simple improvement, though, would be to get a second factory cooler and set it on the other side opposite the factory one. Then run the lines so the fluid goes to the second cooler after the first one, then back to the tranny. That would double the cooling area.

And the pan looks like a good idea, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I added a 16 pass copper tube cooler to the AOD I built for the 5.0 T-bird. Converter was 2600rpm stall and 3000flash. 80k miles never broke it. Perfect when I sold it.