Trans-axle seal

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
I think I'm calling it the right thing. I was under the trac today changing the oil and I noticed some red fluid coming out of the trans where the drive shaft connects.

So is there more than one gasket/seal in there? Is it difficult to change? Does it require special tools?

all you need is the rear tranny seal , its not hard to change you do have to remove your driveshaft to change it, and really all you need to take it out and to put it in is a hammer and screwdriver ,use the hammer and screwdriver to take it out and the hammer to tap it in.

a hammer will not hurt anything , put the screwdriver on the egde of the seal tap it under the sel and pry out evenly all the way around the seal and just tap it back in

So fairly easy job and no real special tools required?

Is more fluid going to leak out when I pull the seal? Meaning should i have extra fluid on hand to top it back off, or will it just be a few drops?

Actually depending how you jack the truck you WILL get some fluid that will leak out..

ALSO if you never installed a seal of that type before, USE the proper tools, YOU can damage the seal and it will never sit right, or you will ruin the seal and need a new one....

A LARGE socket and extension are a good substitute if you don't have a seal installer....

ALSO check the tail shaft bushing for play, It may have been the cause of the bushing going bad..

AND when you re install the drive shaft, Make sure you lubricate the seal and the yolk with tranny fluid so you don't damage the new seal..

Todd Z

Your correct, hammers work just fine.are actually ment for driving nails.

Really? Have you tried driving a nail with a copper hammer? How about a Ball Pien hammer? How about a sledge hammer, mash hammer, or a wooden hammer?

There are many different types of hammers out there, of course, you already knew that.

You said hammers were for driving nails. You were right....kind of.

Tom

I have replaced many a seal with a hammer. It is tricky but can be done. Be gentle and dont force it. I have used a socket for a seal driver when I had the right size. Never owned a puller or driver set.;)

Eddie, I have also used a small hammer numerous times to replace a rear seal. (I actually stated that above, but then I decided I didnt want to argue with Bill and I changed it to nevermind.)

JD, It is always best to use the proper tools, but if you are careful, you can do it with a screwdriver and a small hammer. Be sure to put a few drops of tranny fluid on the seal before you slide the yoke back on.

So to be clear.

I need to buy the seal, and maybe 1 qt of trans fluid.

If I can find the tools for rent/borrow do that, but if I can't use a screw driver/hammer/large socket as their replacements. Being extra careful if I can't find the tools.

There is only 1 seal correct?