Trans Cooler

Help Support SportTrac.org:

TRizzi

Reaction score
I just inherited a 2001 Sport Trac and I am looking to pull an Ultra Lite Travel Trailer. Weight will be around 4,000 - 4, 500 lbs.
Looking for recommendations on the best Trans Cooler to install.
The Sport Trac is a 6 cylinder with about 200,000 miles on it, ALTHOUGH, the engine is being completely rebuilt at this moment.
I have also replaced most of the Front End Suspension, as well as the 4 center frame/chassis mounts under the cab.
The truck has the original Light-Duty Trailer Package, but I know I will need to beef it up for the trailer weight.
I plan to install a 2" Hitch receiver for the Anti-Sway System that is currently on the trailer and if necessary, the electrical connection to a 7 Pin Round Connector.
I look forward to the group's expertise. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Many options for upgrading the TransCooler, but the stock unit on the Gen1 ExST is actually not bad
& provides decent cooling capacity as it is; below is a pic of this coil on a FrontEnd being rebuilt.
Google search for MotorCraft# 5L2z-7a095-a, available used from ~$40.

Can mount a 2nd TransCooler, mirror imaged, using 3/8" 10mm StainlessBarbedTees, hose it up parallel;
optionally install 8"ElectricCoolingFans on their rear side with basic 20ampTempSwitch control;
optionally install a SpinOn Filter in this same ATF loop.

This ATF loop goes thru the Radiator leftside preheater first then to the front TransCooler;
could bypass\delete that preheater tubing & run directly to TransCooler for additional cooling;
as I understand it, a 5r55e internal ThermoValve blocks external loop until Tranny is >140f anyway.

Towing >4000Lb, I'd do everything possible to keep a 5r55e Tranny cool; it's a notorious weak link.
Also consider upgrading stock 1Core\2CorePlasticTanked Radiator to a 3Core\4CoreAllAluminum.

2001.Ford_Tran.Radi______Ford.5L2z-7a095-a_0000_BeingRebuilt.jpg

Last edited:

Todd Z

2nd Gen Owner
V6 Engine
V8 Engine
Reaction score
I ran the B&M trans cooler with aux fan, use power steering or trans hoses ( NOT FUEL LINE) and mount in front... Worked well.

Latest posts