Trans Cooler

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRizzi

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I just inherited a 2001 Sport Trac and I am looking to pull an Ultra Lite Travel Trailer. Weight will be around 4,000 - 4, 500 lbs.
Looking for recommendations on the best Trans Cooler to install.
The Sport Trac is a 6 cylinder with about 200,000 miles on it, ALTHOUGH, the engine is being completely rebuilt at this moment.
I have also replaced most of the Front End Suspension, as well as the 4 center frame/chassis mounts under the cab.
The truck has the original Light-Duty Trailer Package, but I know I will need to beef it up for the trailer weight.
I plan to install a 2" Hitch receiver for the Anti-Sway System that is currently on the trailer and if necessary, the electrical connection to a 7 Pin Round Connector.
I look forward to the group's expertise. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Many options for upgrading the TransCooler, but the stock unit on the Gen1 ExST is actually not bad
& provides decent cooling capacity as it is; below is a pic of this coil on a FrontEnd being rebuilt.
Google search for MotorCraft# 5L2z-7a095-a, available used from ~$40.

Can mount a 2nd TransCooler, mirror imaged, using 3/8" 10mm StainlessBarbedTees, hose it up parallel;
optionally install 8"ElectricCoolingFans on their rear side with basic 20ampTempSwitch control;
optionally install a SpinOn Filter in this same ATF loop.

This ATF loop goes thru the Radiator leftside preheater first then to the front TransCooler;
could bypass\delete that preheater tubing & run directly to TransCooler for additional cooling;
as I understand it, a 5r55e internal ThermoValve blocks external loop until Tranny is >140f anyway.

Towing >4000Lb, I'd do everything possible to keep a 5r55e Tranny cool; it's a notorious weak link.
Also consider upgrading stock 1Core\2CorePlasticTanked Radiator to a 3Core\4CoreAllAluminum.

2001.Ford_Tran.Radi______Ford.5L2z-7a095-a_0000_BeingRebuilt.jpg

Last edited:
I ran the B&M trans cooler with aux fan, use power steering or trans hoses ( NOT FUEL LINE) and mount in front... Worked well.