Trans fluid change 2 types??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I'm at 50K miles and had the trans fluid changed at 22K I'm having a small amout of slipping (which I had prior to the 22K and the the flush corrected the issue). However 2 types of changes: Flush or drop the pan and change the filter. Which one is better? I hear with the flush, they use the trans pump instead of "high pressure". Is this correct?

The flush has always worked for me.

I like flushes because they replace about 98% of the old fluid, while dropping the pan only changes about 50-60% of the old fluid at the most. Modern transmissions do not have drain plugs on the torque converter and that holds about half the fluid and dropping the pan does not get the fluid out of the torque converter.

Some will argue that the filter is not being changed when you flush. U don't feel that is a real issue since the transmission filter is not designed to trap and hold cntaminates like an engine oil filters. The transmission filter is realy only a screen to prevent larger chunks debris from cirulated back throught the transmission. Once the engine is shut off, the pump suction stops and the particles stopped by the filter drop to the bottom of the pan where a magnet holds the metalic particles.

If you have your fluid flushed every 25K-30K miles your filter should last a good 100K miles and you would only have to change it every 3-4 flushes and you will only have to drop the pan when the filter needed changing.

...Rich

The 5R55E tranny uses a filter medium called "Firtron" made by 3M. It is filter, not a screen. A tranny shop I know says to ALWAYS replace the tranny filter. He said the new ones are different than the old brass screen the old trannys used.

If anyone gets a chance, pick up a tranny filter and look at it. It is far from a screen.

Tom

I do the pan/filter every other time....

I also installed a new pan with drain plug and larger capacity..

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I change the trans fluid in the pan every other oil change, and the filter once a year. Since I change oil around six times a year, that gives me about three pan changes a year. I put a drain plug in the tranny pan to make it easier.

Caymen,

It matters not what filter material is used, A transmission filter only acts as a fine screen. A screen by definition blocks particles from passing throught the mesh and allows smaller sized particles to pass. It is not designed to hold the trapped particles untile the filter is replaced, so in that sense the filter is not likely to clog up like a regular engine oil filter would.

The filter medium only dictates the size of the particles that it will allow to pass.

That's why engine oil filters have a bypass valve to prevent oil from going through a cloggeed filter.

The only reason a transmission filter would clog is if the fluid were not changed. The excessive heat can cause the fluid to turn into a sticky varnish, then the particles can stick to the filter and restrict the flow. That's why I always say that the fluid needs to be clushed every 25K-30K miles, and the filter will last 100K miles.

Your or anyone is free to change the transmission filter every hour on the hour if that concerns you so much, but the filtering media used in the transmission filter only defines the particle size and has nothing to do traping and holding particles

If your transmission had to trap and hold all the debris in the transmission, it would need to be larger and thicker than the engine oil filter and you would need to change it every 3K-5K miles. That's why you have a magnet in the bottom of the pan and there is usually a layer of mud on the bottom of the pan after about 10K miles. The pan is what hold the contaminates, not the transmission filter.

...Rich

Caymen,

It matters not what filter material is used, A transmission filter only acts as a fine screen. A screen by definition blocks particles from passing throught the mesh and allows smaller sized particles to pass. It is not designed to hold the trapped particles untile the filter is replaced, so in that sense the filter is not likely to clog up like a regular engine oil filter would.

The filter medium only dictates the size of the particles that it will allow to pass.

That's why engine oil filters have a bypass valve to prevent oil from going through a cloggeed filter.

The only reason a transmission filter would clog is if the fluid were not changed. The excessive heat can cause the fluid to turn into a sticky varnish, then the particles can stick to the filter and restrict the flow. That's why I always say that the fluid needs to be clushed every 25K-30K miles, and the filter will last 100K miles.

Your or anyone is free to change the transmission filter every hour on the hour if that concerns you so much, but the filtering media used in the transmission filter only defines the particle size and has nothing to do traping and holding particles

If your transmission had to trap and hold all the debris in the transmission, it would need to be larger and thicker than the engine oil filter and you would need to change it every 3K-5K miles. That's why you have a magnet in the bottom of the pan and there is usually a layer of mud on the bottom of the pan after about 10K miles.

The pan and the magnet is what hold the contaminates, not the transmission filter.

...Rich

You think what you want to think. It is different than the old screens.

Tom

Obviously Caymen and I disagree about the benefits of flushing 98% of the fluid and not changing the transmission filter vs dropping the pan, changing about half the fluid with a new transmission filter.

My point, is that many people think that the transmission filter is designed to to the exact same thing as the engine oil filter does. That’s why so many feel so strongly that the filter must be replaced every 25K-30k miles.

The transmission fluid picks up large pieces of friction material from the clutches and bands. This is highly abrasive material and the debris is much larger than the contaminates you will find in your engine oil, and there is usually a lot more of it.

Most contaminates in engine oil are combustion by-products and some small amounts of water from condensations from the engines many heating and cooling cycles. These contaminates and water combine to create an acid which will break down the oil and cause damage to the engine. Any debris in the oil is very only microscopic traces, and in very small quantities. The engines oil filter is designed to trap and contain the combustion by-products that produce acid from remaining in the oil. To prevent them from clogging the filter, there are many many layers of filter material to trap the small quantities of microscopic particles.

A transmission filter does not deal with combustion by-products and only has to deal with keeping these larger particles of abrasive material from circulating back through the transmission. The easiest wasy is to filter them, however if the filter were to try to retain all the debris that is produced by a transmission, it would easily clog the filter in just a few thousand miles. If the filter were designed to trap and hold the debris that forms in a transmission, the filter would have to be much thicker, and would need to be changed every few thousand miles.

To prevent clogging, automatic transmissions use a filter that only blocks the larger particles that may still be in suspension in the fluid from being drawn up by the transmission fluids recirculation pump. That’s why transmission filters are so flat and thin, because they are not designed to t trap and hold contaminates. When the engine is shut off the particles simply fall harmlessly to the bottom of the pan where they are attracted by the magnet and can no longer circulated through the fluid.

I am not saying that you should never drop the pan and change the filter. I am saying that it you flush the transmission regularly (25k-30k miles) your transmission filter should not have trapped and held enough debris that is should last about 100K miles.

That is supported by a number of auto manufacturers who are using sealed transmissions and only require that the fluid and filter be changed every 100K miles. Yes, the use 100% synthetic fluids and that’s what I used in both of my Sport Tracs and after nearly 8 years of driving I never had any transmission problems.

If you do not change or flush your fluid regularly, it will begin to form sticky varnish like deposits the coat the insides of the transmission. These sticky deposits will trap and hold far more debris in the filter than the filter was designed to hold and that can lead to a clogged filter. Frequent fluid changes or flushes eliminates that problem.

I respect Caymen’s point of view and his desire to change the filter with each fluid change. I’m sure that will keep his vehicles running just fine. I happened to thing that a fluid flush is better because you are changing about 98% of the old contaminated fluid with fresh fluid and in the long run makes more economic sense, since you do not have to drop the pan or change the filter for 100K miles

Caymen never presents any facts to support his opinion, so I cannot agree with him when there is nothing to support his opinion accept his opinion.

…Rich

<script src=htt