trans gone time for major retrofit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Porter

Reaction score
Hey everyone My trany is slipping to much for my liking so I am gonna give in and either have itrebuilt or ive also been thinking of doing engine/tranny swap! looking at using the 4.6L from the F150 bit more power and would be better on gas then the 4.0L

Has anyone tried to do this?

or even used a different motor/tranny.

Any help advice on what to go with would be great.

If I stay with the 4.0 are there any turbo kits for it? and what can I do to beef up the tranny other then a bettet torque converter? Shift kit? Stronger clutch packs available?

Again any help or points in a direction where I could find some would be most appretiated.

Thanks .

Oh and there was also someone once upon a time who had custom A-arms made for a custom front lift. Anyone know whoe that is ? I want them so I can do a spring over in the back and still be level up front!

lol need more clearance I want to run 35's lol Hense the needing more juice as well.

Thanks

Check out my new shoes. ! Love them Dick Cepek's with 33" truxus muds. Freakin awesome tires my second set!!!!

Yes its a bad pic!! Filthy truck ! But thats how I like it it is well used well abused and other then a tranny its really tough! lol I know I jumped it off a 5 foot cliff in B.C. and allit broke was a upper A-arm . LOL I should be a new vehicle tester It has been across Canada 4 times in 8 months, climbed to to the top of mountains, Muddy logging roads/trails crossed deep creeks, driven through worst contitions and it just keeps asking for more.

If you dont have one buy one!!! Or the new Edge!!! read my reply to the edge post!!

Ps the tranny is my fault as I beat on it and also towed more weight then recomended across Canada Twice .lol Cant blame ford for that!!!

Cheers

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
A member here stuffed a Chevy 350 with a TH 350 trans in the ST....

As tom said the earlier 02 will work....

They make stuff to beef up the 4.0 , Heads, cams, Super charger, stuff like that, and they do make converters, shift kits and better internals for the ST tranny...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
A 4.6L engine iss too wide for the 1st gen Trac's. If you are serious about going with a V8, and I mean serious, find a 2001 (Last year of that model and engine) Explorer V8. They came with a 302.

Some here will say it will not fit. I own both a 2000 Explorer and a 2002 Sport Trac. Under the hood, they are identical.

Tom

lol just a few hour drive to airport parking in Cangary! That pic was taken 25 min after new shoes were mounted from national 4WD in Calgary They hooked my up in a rush! Thanks National 4WD Crew (calgary)! lol Thats about as clean as it gets unless im out on the town w some shorty's.

lol Man Im missing her shes still in B.C. and Im back to work in Ontario. lol Afraid to make another trek without fixing her tranny. Have too mush to tow back!!

Anyone drive transport trucks??? Have two boats and my truck that need to make their way back to Ontario!!!! Cheers

I can not say for positive that a 2001 Explorer 5.0 will or will not fit.

Here is what I know. Visually, the 1996 to 2001 Explorers, 2001 to 2005 Sport Tracs, and the 2001 to 2003 (or is it 2004) Sports are based off the same models.

The 1998, 1999 and 2000 V6 Explorer has a Borg-Warner "Torque on Demand" Transfer case. (My sister has a 1998, my bother has a 1999, and we have a 2000 Explorer) My Trac is a 2002 4x2, so I do not have a transfer case.

The Torgue on Demand transfer case automatically shifts the vehicle into 4x4 mode when the rear wheels slip. You can also manually flip the transfer case into 4x4 high and 4x4 Low. The V6 models have the same tranny as our Trac's do. The 5R55E. It is a 5 Speed tranny.

The V8 models are AWD, totally different than the Automatic 4x4. As far as any research I have done, which isn't much, here is what I know or understand.

The V8 models have a 4 Speed tranny. I can not recall the model number. The Transfer case is AWD and not 4x4. From what I have seen, there is no 4x4 high or 4x4 low setting.

I am not sure if the Trac's transfer case will work with the V8 Tranny. If it doesn't, I am not sure if the AWD case is electric controled or if it is a torsion transfer case.

Ultimatly, if I were to compare the underhood between my Trac and the V8 Explorer, the only noticable difference is the engine. Everything else is identical.

Tom

I towed a 16 foot Seadoo speedster boat + 2 dirt bikes , three kayaks, Mechanics too set Top & bottom chests full, toys(mtn bike, snowboards, camp gear etc etc.)And all my lifes belongings household items and wood working tools/ pressure washer and more.

Boat and truck were full with kayaks on the roof!

I am guessing that it had to be close to 5000+ - .

It towed it great - handled well and was never really short power. even through the mountains. Obviously not fast by any means but I never felt worried climbing or braking through the mountains. I even had to slam on brakes to avoid a deer wich jumped over a median just avter cresting a hill.

Lucky Doe! Just barely cliped it but it ran away with out a limp. Almost jacked knifed the boat in avoiding it though Started to slide out but I let off just enough for it to come back in line .

The Second trip I towed another seadoo speedster same boat ! with truck loaded again with more house hold items + bed and other furniture! guessing only about 3000 - 3500lbs

The only mods I have done are a 3"body lift Rancho Rs8000 with incab controll and airlift leveling air bags in the rear. K$N filter yakima roof rack and modified( to lift same as body)hidden hitch.

Now due to unfortunate relationship fall through I need to move it all back to Ontario! Never seen that comming ouch!

lol

So if anyone knows of a transport company going from West to east I could use a good deal on the cross canada haul. lol

Cheers

I think I have just about everyone beat. Pulled through the scales at over 13,000 LBS. (Trac, trailer, and load).

That equates to about 8,000 LBS behind my Trac.

Tom

Latest posts