trans not going into 1st

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicholas DeMarco 2

Reaction score
when my truck sat for a while in the cold months when i went from park to D it would not go into gear unless i reved it up to 2500rpms or would go if i shifted into any other gear. i also realized i had a tran leak at the back of the trans pan and i up.

took it to the dealer about 7000 miles ago. told me it was just the pan gasket and told me that the 265/75/16 were too big.

just noticed yesterday that the tranny is still leaking in the same spot so now i gotta try and get it fixed. has anyone have this problem before?

Often, a cold issue is nothing more than a plugged filter.

As the fluid gets warm it thins out and can pass through the filter and thus to the internal components of the tranny itself.

In changing the filter, you will change the gasket as well...

The size of the tires have no bearing as far as the tranny not going into first gear. That said, the tires may be of a size that damages the tranny, with an end result of the tranny not going into first or have poor ability to perform...

was the tranny ever serviced ???

does going into R first then 1 help ???

OR try going to L1 directly from park....

that increases the tranny pressure.... It sounds like a solenoid is sticking....

ALSO don't REV the crap out of it to get it to go, that will surly seal the fate of needing a new tranny and not a repair..

Todd Z

todd z yes any other gear 1 2 R it goes right in. when i reved the crap outta it it wasn't on purpose. only did it 2 or 3 times.

it's not doing it now but the leak is still there so i thought it was linked to the leak.

tranny gets it's service every 30,000 and is at 71000 now.