Transfer case fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Spiegel

Reaction score
I am going to change my transfer case fluid. I am little confused as to the difference between Mercon ATF and Mercon V ATF. Will probably go with a synthetic.

Please explain the difference ( if any?) so that I don purchase and install the wrong fluid.

Thanks,

I heard that Mercon has been discontinued and that we should use Mercon V. However, my '07 manual says to use Mercon V in the transmission, and only use Mercon on the transfer case and power steering.

This is kind of confusing that Mercon V is not to be used in the transfer case or power steering according to the manual, but hearing from somewhere else that Mercon is discontinued and to use Mercon V.

Anyone know the whole story?

Ford uses a combo fluid for the t-case, some trannys and P/S....

The ST t-case takes regular DexIII or standard ATF... you can use Mobil syn or something like that. BUT DO NOT USE MERC V...

Todd Z

I'm not sure exactly what the differences in the fluids are, but some ATF's are rated for Mercon and Mercon V both. I put Mobil 1 ATF in my transfer case. There is a Member Project on it.

[/shameless pimping of my member project :D ]