Transfer Case Issues -- Need Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collin Lyon

Reaction score
Well, it's now day 37, with still no end in sight fixing my clicking/ticking noise from under the hood. The engineer that was flown out from MI to assist the dealer is convinced (per the service manager) it is the transfer case making this noise.

Supposedly, the transfer case has been replaced TWICE, with no change. They are saying that they might have had "dud" transfer cases on replacement. I told them (weeks ago) to take a transfer case off an Explorer (didn't have any Tracs on the lot at the time), but they said they couldn't do that. A couple of weeks ago they said that the transfer case on the Trac is unique, and a comparable Explorer ('07) would not fit on my Trac. Yesterday, they said they are now going to take an Explorer off their lot, test drive for any noise, and if not, will replace that transfer case with mine. Now comes my queston:

Can anyone confirm if the transfer case is the same for '07 Tracs & Explorers? I would think they ARE the same, and I'm getting the continuing runaround. I appreciate any input.

they are the same.......

Todd Z

Hi Todd -- By all means, I'm not doubting you, but are you 100% sure? Is there something I can show him (i.e. website) something in black and white I can print out and show him?

If it is the same, I'm going to rip the service manager a new A$$ for lying to me all this time . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I could see that they might not be the same would possibly be because of the rear driveshaft. Because of the wheelbase difference the two vehicles would have different length driveshafts and they might have a different connection at the transfer case. I doubt it makes any difference but we are talking about Ford here.

The connections are a flat flange.

Call the parts department of that dealer and ask them to look up the t-case for the ST and then ask what other vehicles it fits...

They can do it, just tell them to..

The ONLY thing that may be different is the gear ratios in the t-case....

Todd Z

I called a different dealer to confirm this. He asked me for my build date as well as the other specifics (6 speed, etc.). Part # for the '07 Trac is slightly different than '07 Explorer:

6L2Z7A195B (Trac)

6L2Z7A195HD (Explorer)

Called the service manager back. He told me there a new Trac just showed up on their lot. He's going to swap the transfer case, per engineer's request. Then will see what happens.

FYI

I'm working on a trade if this doesn't work out.

When the service mgr told me the new one was in the lot, the first thing I asked was the color -- white -- I don't want white. My last few vehicles were white. My Trac is dark stone.

Dark stone is not a color for the '08's, so I'd have to go with green stone (matches my RV).

Tell them to quit jerking you around and they should give you a different vehicle. Have them take back your current SportTrac and replace it with another one.

Why would you want this thing back anyway after they have taken it apart several times. It is obvious that they do not know what they are doing. Who knows what else they have screwed up or what bolts they have stripped out or forgot to install?

You bought a functioning Trac and you gave them several opportunites and nearly a month and a half to fix it. Time for them to just give you a new one. Hell-- they can build one from complete scratch in 12 hours at the factory--why can they not fix yours even after 37 days.

You are getting a royal screwing by Ford.