Transfer Case?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
awhile back i noticed a small hole on the bottom

of which i believe is the transfer case, i happened

to be under my ST today and noticed it again. it almost

looks as if something tore a chunk off of it. its an

uneven whole no bigger than a quarter in width and

around it there is oil.

anyone know if thast supposed to be there?

First thing you need to do is check and see if there is any fluid in it. Should be Mercon V Trans fluid if its the Transfer case. If no fluid don't drive it. 2 plugs, 1 high ,one low, pull top one and stick something in it to check for fluid. Should be no more than 3/8 inch below hole.

Picture would help.

yeah i will get that picture up soon.

but when i mentioned awhile back, id say

its been about a year. and yes i do have

tranny oil, have never had a problem with my tranny.

just curious as to why there is a whole there which

look slike it shouldnt be there

I have a standard transmission so I'm not sure about this, but, all other vehicles I have ever owned, the automatic transmission itself has nothing to do with the fluid in the transfer case. They are 2 different gearboxes. Unless Ford has made a radical change, you need to check the Transfer case if you think there is a hole in it.

Look in projects at "Changing Transfer Case Fluid" and see if this is what you are talking about. If you run this without fluid you are looking at a very expensive fix.

Transmission calls for Mercon V ATF. The transfer case and manual transmission call for regular Mercon, although Mobil 1 ATF is okay for both applications.