transfer rims 2004 to 2010?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMYLY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Have a 2004 ST now but getting a 2010 ST AWD...will the rims from the 2004 ( oe size) be usable on the 2010. I have snows on them and it will save me buying new ones for winter.Thanks

I looked up both on wheel-size.com.

Both list the same base specs for the 235/70R16 wheels, except that the offset is 44mm for the 2010 and 12mm for the 2004. I am no wheel expert, but believe that means the 2004 rims will protrude out 32 mm (about 1 1/4") further than the 2010 factory rims.

What that means for ride, handling, and any other consequences, someone will else will need to chime in.

Thanks Stephen...great site there.From what i see ,the rim size for 2004 is 7Jx16 ET12 compared to the 2010 of 8Jx20 ET35 ( i believe the truck has 20" now). So it seems the all the 2010's have an offset of either 35 OR 44....does this mean that putting the 2004 rim with the 12 offset on the 2010 would be a problem ?

Going to larger (more positive) is especially precarious, because it places the back of the wheel further in board, running the risk of rubbing suspension components etc.

Going smaller (more negative) pushes the wheel and rim away from suspension, and possibly out of the plane of the wheel well. That may be OK functionally, so long as the fender doesn’t hit the wheel (including under full upward travel). Looks wise, people probably have mixed feelings, but these are just winter tires you are talking about...

Here is a snippet of an article on the Internet:

This is why that ideally, you don’t want the new offset to be more than 5 millimeters away from the old offset in either direction. However, this isn’t always possible. What you do need to keep in mind is that more negative offset, i.e., an offset that is less than the original, will push the wheel out farther from the wheel well. Usually, this will not cause a problem, although it might result in a pretty funky look.

In contrast, too much positive offset is a danger, as it will push the wheel farther in toward the suspension. Here’s an extreme example: If you have to go from a 45 mm offset to a 20 mm, the wheels will protrude from the sides of the car. But going from a 20 mm to a 45 mm offset not only may destroy the tires, but also has the potential of affecting vehicle control and injuring the customer — not an optimal customer service outcome!

Exactly...so im going from a 35mm (or 44) down to a 12mm offset. So they will stick out further past the wells. There must be many here who have used ( or tried to anyway ) the Gen 1 rims on a Gen 2. Just needing to know if possible...and if not,why?

I hate that it seems that auto manufactors have started using, + offsets on rear drive trucks. Large + offsets started on front drive. Aftermarket wheel manfactors, carry more wheels that are large + offsets. I have known many folks that had to run spacers. To get the style wheel they want. SUX!!!:confused:

Todd, maybe you can help.I know you have both Gen 1 and 2...is there a problem with using a 2004 OE 16" rim on a 2010 LTD, which is now running a 20" OE wheel? Would spacers be needed OR anything have to be altered?

IMO, no spacers will be needed. the gen1 is 7" rim @ 12mm offset. That would tend to place the rim outward.
Clearance issues would depend on tire size. This only an opinion.

Eddie..wheels are buried in the garage but sure they are 255/70r16 (or a hair off that)

Adrenalin wheels are +35... the 2004 wheels will fit fine and should have about the same width appearance wise, because the 04's are 7" wide and the adrenalin wheels are 8" wide... also the center bore of the hubs is the same which is nice too.

Adrenalin wheels are +35... the 2004 wheels will fit fine and should have about the same width appearance wise, because the 04's are 7" wide and the adrenalin wheels are 8" wide... also the center bore of the hubs is the same which is nice too.
Thank you Mike...just needed to know that.Now I don't have to waste time/$$ looking wheels.

Have the 04 oe wheels (16") with snows on now and they fit/look great. Actually stick-out about an inch past the fender and gives it a very cool look.

So far so good....too late even if it was a horror-show.

Latest posts