Transmission 2/3 flair - Interesting note...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I noticed a couple of things that have reduced/eliminated my trans flair. (temporarily)

1. During one of my recent trans fluid changes, I acidentally underfilled the fluid. (Basically I filled it to the level where it indicated full - but without the enging running) I also had included one bottle of Lucas Oil's- Transmission Fix during the change since I have been batteling this flair.

It completely stopped doing the flair thing until I realized that my trans fliud was low (approx 1.5qt) at which time I added 1 qt of fluid and my flair IMMEDIATELY returned. Initially I thought it was the Lucas Oil helping the problem, but apparently the level had something to do with it. The level where everything was working perfectly was when it was filled to just above the little round end on the tip of my trans fluid stick.

I took the added fluid amount back out and the flair went away again.

I dont really reccomend doing this as a fix, but I thought I'd mention it since I havn't noticed anyone identify this elsewhere on this forum and it might lend to someone thinking of a different solution/temp fix.

Ultimately, I have refilled it to the proper level because a couple of times (when it's been freezing cold here) my truck wouldn't go into drive till it warmed up for a minute.

I know (from reading the posts) that the permanent solution is to replace the valve body gasket & do the update but since its really cold & snowy here and my flair isn't very bad I've decided to try to hold off till warmer weather this spring to do the update.

"Getting by till then"

2. I have noticed that if I use my gear lever to switch gears, the flair does not happen.

Generally I am a very reserved/lightfooted driver. In "Drive" my truck usually does it's 2/3 shift around 2500rpm, but if I use my shift lever and manually shift from 1st to 2nd, then 2nd to "D" at around 3500rpm - no flair.

I'm figuring that this may lessen or eliminate the slippage until I can get in there to do the update.

For what it's worth...

Good Luck!

The flair is due to the solenoids, by manually shifting it you telling the tranny when to shift not the computer. The computer wants to do it a different way then the way the shifter does it....

Todd Z

The flair is also due to leaking a valve body gasket too, right? I had the gasket replaced on my 2001 two weeks ago, and no more flair/slip. 117k miles. It has always slipped a little from time to time but started getting real bad especially between 2-3.

Funny thing is there were 2 other 01 Sport Tracs in the transmission shop at the same time that had slipping transmissions that were ignored until they failed. Fortunately, I only needed the gasket (for now). The other two were full rebuilds. I took the advice of others on this board and got it to the shop in time, I guess. Good advice.

I too have noticed that minor slipping is affected by the level of transmission fluid, as well.

Ron,

Yes you are correct...

Todd Z