Transmission acting up

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Hayes

V6 Engine
2nd Gen owner
Reaction score
So my 2007 4.0L has a transmission leak, it's the line that runs in the front near the radiator, I'm getting that fixed. But experiencing other issues I want to be sure are related.

I noticed the leak when changing my spark plugs a couple weeks back, then the valvoline guys pointed it out as well. As I drove it to pick up my son Friday night (hour away up the interstate) it shifted funny. I put it on cruise and got there without issue, but the Yellow Wrench popped up on my dash. I got the hour back home, and noticed it was shifting hard, at a higher than normal rpm, from first into second. Called a friend who had a pump, and we met up this morning.

On the way there, it was still shifting hard into second, and it threw a P0775 code at me. That supports the low transmission fluid theory. So we pulled the plug, and it dripped as if it was full. We put a quart and a half in it, and it stopped the P0775 code, but still shifts hard into second. I'm getting the leak looked at /fixed this week, but didn't know if anyone had any input of there was a bigger issue at play.

Going to sell this truck on a few weeks. If I have to put a transmission in it, it's not going to be worth it.

Before someone asks, I had the transmission fluid changed at 180k, and I'm at 213k now.

It's a 5R55S.

I'm going to give the computer a reset tonight when I get back. See if that helps.

Sounds like its on its way out.... If you never changed the filter that could be an issue, but taking the pan down on that miles is always rolling the dice...

The wrench and harsh shifting is "Limp" mode.... it does that when it sees a problem.

As for the code, its either the common issue of internal pressure valve or one of the Servos leaking, it sounds like a shift solenoid is going bad.

You could change the Solenoid pack....and see what happens.

OF COURSE it's on its way out. I'm hoping to sell for $3k, and it has to do this.
I've got a guy who will take a look at it for me, but I'm not feeling good about it anymor .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200824-070735.png
    Screenshot_20200824-070735.png
    107.8 KB · Views: 70
Honeslty it sounds like it leaked and got low on fluid and may havd burned it self up..... Hopefully it was just low on fluid...

We pulled the plug and put the nozzle in to add fluid on Sunday. It dripped, so the drain field definitely has some in it. We put 1.5 quarts in, figured with the leak, better to have a little too much. No changes so far. Still driving with rough shifting and wrench/check engine lights.

Was the truck running with the trans in park and the trans warmed up to 175 degrees ????

ok sounds like it might be time...…...

I got a guy checking it out tomorrow, but unless he sees a miracle fix, I think you're right friend.

If he is, thanks for all the help over the years, Todd and the rest of your guys. May not have felt like much to you, but meant a lot to me.

Your welcome, Hope its not DOA, keep us posted.