Transmission drain plug

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2005 auto (2x4) 4.0 k engine trac that I just did the trans filter change on. While doing so I installed the autolite transmission drain plug in just about the very center of the pan. Now I am a tad worried I may not have enough clearance in there. The pan bolted back up just fine but since it is a 2005 the pan looks nothing like the one in the projects section.

I thought I would ask and see what others thought.

Cheers

Kinley

The one in the projects is a 4WD and your 2WD..... Different pans..

You should be fine, Don't worry about it..

Todd Z

Im thinking about getting a 4x4 pan from salvage. For the center drop for the plug. If I was racing or torturing my trans. I would go the $$ for aftermarket pan.

If anyone that is installing these plugs has access to a welder, that would be the best way to go. I bought a fine threaded nut with a bolt. Drilled the hole, and welded the nut to the outside of the pan. Then cut the bolt to propper length - basically flush with the inside of the pan. If welded correctly - no leaks.

Thanks all. So far no issues.

I am almost tempted to get another oem pan and have a galley or as John suggested some sort of drain welded on to the pan. Be a much nicer install.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers

Kinley