Transmission hose ST 2002

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score
Standing in front of the ST on the left side is a square hole in the bumper and a rubber hose is visible. This hose is leaking, and the bottom of the vehicle in front has fluid on it.

Any clues as to what is involved in the repair?

The shop guesstimate is $450.

[email protected]

Hmm... My hose leaked and the shop replaced it for a few bucks using oil-rated generic hose and stainless steel clamps.

I say it's your transmission fluid cooler line(s) that are leaking. It's a fairly simple DIY fix. Search YouTube for some repair videos on how to do it.

Yeah. I think the first price was assuming the metal lines were damaged. It was a tire place, and they typically are way high. Another shop that has done lots of fixes on our vehicles took a look for me. the guy thinks it is like y'all said: not the metal part just the rubber portion. We'll do them both.

The leak got worse fast. They topped off the AT fluid at the tire place where they noticed the leak and said it wasn't down a lot when they added the fluid. Next day and 40 miles later when I added AT fluid, it pissed out immediately as fast as I added it.

How long do you figure the transmission would last like that? I drove it 20 miles and left it at the shop. I didn't feel any pumping slipping or smell burning but it freaked me out to stop driving it altogether. The cooler is visible by looking down behind the grill, but where the hoses tie into the tubes is behind a brush guard. But you knew that.

Think this maneuver might have contributed to the issue?

https://youtu.be/WCTbABA8MZ0

That brush guard is held on by 3 8mm and 4 10mm screws. It's nothing to take off and on. Don't think your pulling the tree has anything to do with your leaking hoses. They're just worn out.

FIX IT TODAY !!!! you will smoke the tranny fast !!

Todd Z

I hope I didn't damage the transmission. It's at the shop. The tube(s) were rusty so they cut them back and re-flared the ends.

I'm hoping I didn't damage the transmission.

I stopped driving it as soon as I realized what was going on. No warning lights, noises, smoke or smells.

Guess I'll report the final outcome.

Cost about $150.00

It runs but I have a feeling that the transmission may have sustained some damage.

Maybe I'm imagining it. I am driving 600 miles interstate next week. that ought to be the test.

Thanks for the feedback

Latest posts