Transmission Leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
The other day I went to drive my Trac and there was a puddle of ATF running out from under the truck. This happened overnight- and I hadn't driven the Trac for the past 5 days. Took it to the dealer and they found the bulkhead seal leaking where the wires run inside the transmission. $383 later, I have a new seal, new filter, and 5 qts new transmission fluid. The dealer said these seals often leak when it gets cold. My Gen II is a 2010 and has just over 50,000 miles on it.

Good to know and keep an eye on......

My 2010 has 79K and sits out side here all its life......

Todd Z

There's been a TSB on this for some time. Mine did it at around 20k if I remember right. But only if it sat maybe more than 10 days or so. I did it myself because the dealers here are just plain crooks. Cost about $60-70 if I remember. Too bad you were probably past the drivetrain warranty. $383 for a pan drop, two- three o rings and 6-7 quarts of oil is why I did it myself. Hardest part is refilling because of the micro dipstick.

TSB 11-3-25

03/31/11

6R80 TRANSMISSION BULKHEAD CONNECTOR

SLEEVE LEAKING TRANSMISSION FLUID

FORD:

2009-2010 Expedition, Explorer Sport Trac,

Explorer, F-150

LINCOLN:

2009-2010 Navigator

MERCURY:

2009-2010 Mountaineer

ISSUE

Some 2009-2010 F-150, Expedition, Explorer Sport Trac, Explorer, Mountaineer and Navigator vehicles equipped with a 6R80 transmission may show signs of transmission fluid leakage around the transmission bulkhead connector sleeve.

ACTION

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the leak is present at the transmission bulkhead connector sleeve. With the vehicle in neutral, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 100-02.

1. Disconnect the transmission vehicle harness connector by twisting the outer shell and pulling back on the connector.

2. Remove the transmission fluid pan and allow the transmission fluid to drain.

3. Pull the release tab and pull down on the transmission bulkhead electrical connector retainer.

4. With the release tab down, pull the connector sleeve out of the case/mechatronic assembly.

5. Lube new connector sleeve 0-rings with clean transmission fluid, then install connector sleeve into case/mechantronic assembly.

6. Press up on the tab and lock the outer shell of the transmission bulkhead electrical connector sleeve in place. Make sure that the locking tab is securely locked.

7. Install the transmission fluid pan/gasket and refill transmission fluid refer to WSM, Section 307-01 for refill procedure.

NOTE DO NOT TOUCH THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR PINS OR THE EXPOSED SOLENOID TABS ON THE TRANSMISSION BULKHEAD ELECTRICAL CONNECTOR. ELECTROSTATIC DISCHARGE MAY OCCUR AND MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE (TCM).

NOTE BULKHEAD CONNECTOR SLEEVES MAY COME WITH RED OR BLACK 0-RING SEALS. USE ONLY BULKHEAD CONNECTOR SLEEVE THAT HAS BLACK 0-RING SEAL FOR THIS PROCEDURE.

Parts Block

WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT : Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

110325A 2009-2010 Explorer, 1.7 Hrs.

Mountaineer, Explorer

Sport Trac, And F-150:

Replace Connector Sleeve

Includes Time To Remove

And Install Transmission

Fluid Pan (Do Not Use

With Any Other Labor

Operations)

110325A 2009-2010 Expedition And 1.8 Hrs.

Navigator: Replace

Connector Sleeve Includes

Time To Remove And

Install Transmission Fluid

Pan (Do Not Use With Any

Other Labor Operations)

DEALER CODING

CONDITION

BASIC PART NO. CODE

7G276 D8

Love there is no replacement, Lube o ring and go... LOL

Todd Z

The o rings are the problem. Old ones are orange/red, new ones are black. If the clip that holds the part in wasn't inside the trans it would be a piece of cake.

Sounds like the same O-ring problem the space shuttle had...

That was from exceeding the minimum operating temperature of the o-rings by launching, which created a $hit-ton of vibrations that shattered them. A business decision gone wrong - six days sitting on the pad, and the associated costs, vs the risk of o-ring failure, and associated costs.

My 2007 is having this problem now, but the 07 isn't listed as being affected on the TSB. Guess I'll have to pull the pan and tackle this job. My guess is that the recent cold temps have brought the problem to the surface.

Old post resurrections….. Yeah, Became problematic on a lot of the trans,,,,,, hate these designs...

Latest posts