Transmission leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVanover

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I've have a V-8 2008 Sport Trac Adrenalin with the 4.6 V-8 and 129K miles on the clock. I have a transmission leak and it appears to becoming from a Torx bolt at the lower right side at the back of the transmission. I don't have a Torx socket to fit it yet, but I think it could be sealed. I'm pretty sure the transmission is low on fluid and needs changing. However, I can not find any fill port. This does not appear to be the 5R55S transmission with the cast aluminum pan with the drain/fill port. It is a flat steel pan. I don't see any way to drain it with out dropping the pan, but more importantly, I can find no way to fill the transmission with fluid. Can anyone provide the information/procedure to change the transmission fluid?

Thanks,
Marty Vanover
Tucson, AZ

Attachments

• IMG_3387.JPG
    IMG_3387.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 184
Right hand side front, above the pan. There is a cap or plug. Remove it and you will find a short plastic dip stick.
You have to check level hot and running. Watch dont get burned from the exhaust. If the level is correct. When you drop the pan. Measure the amount of drained fluid. Put that amount back in. easier. A peice of 1/2" garden hose on a funnel up top will work for refill.

Thanks for the info! I think I saw something like a long hex plug on the right side. I guess that's it. Yeah, the exhaust is close.

I have the same year (not Adrenalin) with the 4.6. I had the same issue and no where near the mileage. Mine has 83K on it. I got tired of the ATF leaks on my garage floor and/or drive way. I figured it was time to get the transmission serviced, including a new gasket. Had it flushed (which cost more), filter changed and gasket replaced. You are NOT going to stop that leak with some sort of shade-tree gooey gasket stuff. That's a nice truck which still holds very good value. If it was me (and it was), I'd "bite-the-bullet" and service it correctly and have a new gasket installed. After all, it does have 129,000 miles on it.

I have an 09. I had a transmission leak but only when I let it sit for a few days. Turned out it was the power cable that goes into the tranny. FORD knows the problem but won't cover it. It's a $30 part but cost over $250 ( gasket, fluid , new connector, filter, and labor) to repair

That electrical ( Bulk head) connector seal is known for leaking...… Google it.
V8
07-08 6R60
09-10 6R80

Thanks for the inputs! I pulled the suspect bolt. The boss in the transfer case is much larger than the bolt diameter. The boss was dry. I assume some weird airflow moved the fluid up to the bolt area. The majority of the fluid is at the aft end of the pan. I tightened the bolts in the area, but think that Emory is right, it's probably the pan gasket. Interesting that the pan is embossed that the gasket is re-usable. I think not in my case. I will look for the bulkhead connector. I saw no other places where there was fluid apparent. I'll try to check the fluid level and change out the gasket this weekend. I did find 6R embossed on the tranny housing. I thought all the 6Rs were six speeds, but mine only has 4 speeds plus the overdrive.

Just to follow up. I tightened the aft pan bolts and the leak stopped. I'm going to replace the pan gasket when I have the tranny flushed out. My weekend got disrupted and I couldn't change out the fluid. Thanks to every one who responded for the guidance given.

I would brake-clean the crap out of the area around the l- frame connector and maybe the pan, the stock gasket can not be over tightened it’s a aluminum sheet with a rubber ish gasket inlay. Tightening the bolts to much can start to strip them, it’s an easy fix and diagnoses grab a hand full of flour from the kitchen and just throw don’t it at the connector don’t wipe it off, drive it one day than look at it again it will show bright red under the plug, so as you’ve already prepared to service the gasket order online, and order the L- frame seal from Ford 11-20 bucks, with pan off, reach up un latch the connector, reach in the tranny release the seal and pull it out wipe the hole install the new one and back together you go.
It will take you longer to refill the oil than the whole job takes.
Now obviously clean off the flour

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproduct...MIqu7g7dmX8AIVMQJ9Ch3jeQYOEAQYBiABEgLLGvD_BwE
I would buy ford all dealers have it in stock very very common problem.
I use this type of pump every day so easy.

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Manual-A...keywords=oil+fill+pump&qid=1619296276&sr=8-32

Don’t over think it just two cents worth
Just a bit info the none of the explorers had 6r80s period. Ford Was planing to use it and didn’t? service said it has that’s a mis print spec.
6r60s have the tans module in the pan 6r80 controls is in the PCM you can tell really easy open the hood and look at the top connector on the PCM 5 wires 6r60 as in the first pic 2010 4.6 Adrenalin,
6r80 has 15 wires like the f150 transmission we are using for the conversion.
P.S.
This has been explained over and over
6 gears forward
R reverse
80 800 torque

4r70,75
10r80
6r140
Old 4r100
Ok I’ll stop
it’s raining, and a Saturday
And the second pic is a 6r80 going into a brenspeed supercharged 6speed manual in a 2010 RWD I convented to navigator toque on demand t/ case and select drive front traction. The 6 speed was no fun to drive the owner is 82 years old. He/ we just could not shift fast enough 482 to the ground and no traction hope this fixes that.

Attachments

• 28D32A0D-BACF-4E53-8AE5-7850AB86406D.jpeg
    28D32A0D-BACF-4E53-8AE5-7850AB86406D.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 123
  • FA68D8A9-2F1D-435E-BE40-32E6DB1EFA08.jpeg
    FA68D8A9-2F1D-435E-BE40-32E6DB1EFA08.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
My transmission leak is fixed, but I need to replace the filter and fluid. I've finally got the jabs and have been up North getting some granddaughter time in. Back in the desert now and will schedule the tranny service. Interestingly, my PMC has six wires going to it.

Attachments

• Tranny PMC.JPG
    Tranny PMC.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 123
...grab a hand full of flour from the kitchen and just throw don’t it at the connector don’t wipe it off, drive it one day than look at it again it will show bright red under the plug...
I've heard that old joke since youth "Throw some flour on it, then look for the wet spot."
Now finally know what it means!

I've heard that old joke since youth "Throw some flour on it, then look for the wet spot."
Now finally know what it means!
An old friend told me that his wife would do that to him. When he undressed, after going out without her.

Confused....
Todd says in#7 that 09/10 6spd's are 6r80's...
Trinity says there are ZERO 6r80's in Tracs and that 5 wires going to PCM indicate a 6r60...
My 2010 6spd has 5 (or 6) wires to the PCM.
Both cannot be correct.
I need to be sure what trans i have.

I'm in these transmissions a lot,The Ford service manual calls out the electronic schematic 6r80 this was a mistake buy helm printing BUT the only transmission that uses the transmission computer in the transmission pan as in th 6 wire lead frame was 6r60 in stead of the PCM ,
6 wires sorry I said 5,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_6R_transmission
???
Hell we are still arguing about what brought down “building 7,”

Attachments

• E2BB5043-B998-409B-AE41-06DC76A3B96B.png
    E2BB5043-B998-409B-AE41-06DC76A3B96B.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 56E49B46-E213-4A7B-869A-E746D8A34FB0.png
    56E49B46-E213-4A7B-869A-E746D8A34FB0.png
    164.5 KB · Views: 95
  • 6FBF26DE-9101-49E2-BDFD-14E5693F90BE.png
    6FBF26DE-9101-49E2-BDFD-14E5693F90BE.png
    158.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 58CB7961-C79B-436D-B69A-4E338A71FCEF.png
    58CB7961-C79B-436D-B69A-4E338A71FCEF.png
    158.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I had the same problem a few years ago with my 4.6L ‘09 Adrenalin. Dropped the pan, changed the connector (and fluid and filter) and put it back together. All good since. While I was under the truck, I confirmed from stampings on the case that it is a 6R80.

I have a gen 2 V8. I am going to get a transmission flush and new filter. Should I worry that the shop will mistake a 6r60 for a 6r80 or the reverse? Are the filters the same? Thanks

Also the transmission valve that starts to leak, does this same problem, diagnosis and part apply to both trannies? Btw mine is a 2010 Adrenalin AWD 4.6 v8
Thanks

My AAMCO guy thought my 2008 STA was a 6R80, but I told him it was a 6R60. I don't think he believed me, but they flushed and changed the tranny fluid and filter anyway. I would think the filter would be the same, but I don't know.

Last edited: