transmission pan drain plug

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kil roy

Reaction score
who here has added a drain plug to their transmission pan?

i have the kit and im not 100% sure where it should go in the

factory pan.

Did mine about a week ago, lowest part of the pan. A couple tips, find a punch and punch a hole in the pan where you put the plug, before you drop the pan, this way it will drain and make it a much cleaner job. (I used a nail set) Also, you don't need to tighten the actual drain plug part (the one with the O ring) very much, it will crush and possible tear the O ring if you tighten it to much. I used mine the other day doing the first of 3 oil drains and I think I over tightened it an squashed the O ring out and therefore I got a little oil on the floor. I loosened it a 1/2 turn and it's been OK so far. Also make sure there are no burs or deformed metal after you drill the 1/2" hole, you want a nice smooth and even surface for the gaskets to seat against.

This is from the projects section...

Eddie <><

http://www.mysporttrac.com/mysporttrac/projects/TrannyPlug/index.html

weird, i did a search for transmission plug before posting and i guess it didnt come up because its titled tranny plug project.

in any case i dont use the plastic ring that comes with the kit when i do an install

i buy the motormite rubber drain plug washers and put one top and bottom.

they have always sealed properly for me but thanks for the suggestion anyway.