Transmission pan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blert

1st Gen Owner
2 wheel drive
2001 job 2
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
To those who have put the 4x4 transmission pan on their 4x2...
Any cons to speak of? Clearance issues, ground or otherwise?

(I would search but it seems to be busted for me)

Be sure to also swap in the internal 4WD Filter that has a bottom suction tube for the deeper 4WD Pan.

@blert
Eddie may be off line if you messaged him. Last I heard he was in the process of setting up his new PC.

No offense intended to Eddie, but WHY Dorman? Never had a single product from them that fit properly and it was of very poor build quality using sub standard materials. Sometimes there's no other option such as the 4.6L 2V intake, but won't the OEM 4WD transmission pan work?
https://sporttrac.org/threads/transmision-fluid.122947/post-1041524

No offense intended to Eddie, but WHY Dorman?
The dorman pan fit perfect and was made of very thick metal. No leaks. It came with the drain plug installed. I did have to transfer the magnet from the oem pan to the 4x4.
I was looking on amazon for the mercon5 prices. When I saw the pan for $44. I would have liked the deeper aluminum pan. They Cost was more than I wanted to spend.
From oem pan dumps and filter changes. The dorman pan hold 1 1/2 more qts. You do have to use the 4x4 filter.

... I did have to transfer the magnet from the oem pan to the 4x4.
I have never had the pan off my truck. Is this just a matter of plucking the magnet out and tossing it in the new pan or are power tools involved? My new pan is on the way and I want to be prepared.

The dorman pan fit perfect and was made of very thick metal.
Must be a first. Just kidding @EddieS'04. I'm just having fun with you and really glad you're happy with it.

Remember the Dorman speed bleeders you tried to install years ago? One had a stuck check valve right out the package and you ended up returning them and reusing your stock brake bleeders.

I had another experience with their 38445 door strikers. Torqued to the recommended 30 ft/lbs. and the round metal bases deformed so bad I removed them. Weak metal probably made from recycled coat hangers. ; )

Just two examples above, and I don't feel the need to list the others derailing blert's thread into a Dorman bashing. Just search Dorman on many other auto forums and you'll see. Rant over. LOL

Steve, I have had my share of doorman crap parts. I agree something as critical as the bleeders. I should have shopped for the brand that someone had suggested. I don't remember now what brand they were. I remember I had some purchase $$ saved up from pep-boys. That was the only brand they sold. I got my saved $$'s back.
I admit being worried that the pan might have uneven sealing surface. Requiring rtv sealer. All was well.
Anyway you cant hurt my feelings. I take med's for that....LOL.... ;) o_O😬........
Peace Bro

Chances are that parts like this are all stamped in the same factory somewhere in China. Then they are just branded Dorman/Ultra/ATP/Duralast/Napa/etc.

What surprises me is no aftermarket company has made metal reinforced timing chain guides. We all know they are the achilles heel of the 4.0L SOHC engine. Don't see how hard it would be to copy the plastic OEM parts and mold metal plates into them. Actually shocked that Dorman hasn't done it yet. They would fly out the door if they fit correctly. Any engineers out there with opinions?

What surprises me is no aftermarket company has made metal reinforced timing chain guides. We all know they are the achilles heel of the 4.0L SOHC engine. Don't see how hard it would be to copy the plastic OEM parts and mold metal plates into them. Actually shocked that Dorman hasn't done it yet. They would fly out the door if they fit correctly. Any engineers out there with opinions?
Eureka, that's one hell of an idea !!!

PML makes a nice larger pan..... just use the 4wd filter.

This is a real 6r80 fits the same as the 6r60 close to the front x member but it works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts