Transmission problems is 2001 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allison Ward

Reaction score
I've heard alot of people have had transmission problems with thier sport trac when they reached 60,000-100,000 miles. I recently had to have some work done on mine & was also informed that I would probably need to have it rebuilt in the next few months. I was wondering if transmission problems are common in these trucks? Thanks!! - Allison

Yes, Unfortunately. I bought a 2001 with 48,000m a few years ago. The transmission developed a "flair" at 56,000m. It would rev up between shifts. Fortunately, I had bought the extended warranty. The dealer where I bought it rebuilt it for $50. Never any more trouble.

Any thing can be considered a "problem".....

There are members here that had trannys go at 20K and members that have well over 100+K miles with no issue....

It could be a design issue, maintenance, or outside factor......

I own 2 ST's 03 and 04.... No tranny issues...

The 2001 tranny had gasket issues that were fixed in 02.... How many miles are on your st ??

ALSO if your Tranny just needs the gasket upgrade and solenoid upgrade, IT could all be done for around $800.00... you may not need a rebuild...

Todd Z

Allison,

Yes, the trannies on the Explorer vehicles, all years, are have a higher incident rate of early mileage failure/issue than one would expect from a quality product.

The 1st gen trannies, all years, had flare issues starting at very early mileage (30k to 70k). The 2nd gen tranny especially with the V8 has had some harshness issues that with reprogramming Ford has been able to address for some, but not all. The '08 seemed better in that regard than the '07, but only time will tell.

Are all the trannies on all the years bad? Nope. '01 and '04s seemed to have a righer rate of incident than any other year. Reports showed that as many as 1 in 10 '04 Explorer-based trucks (Explorer, ST, Mountaineer) had tranny issues at less than 70k miles.

Hearing about STs that have had tranny work between 60k and 100k is not uncommon and backs up reports I have read. Expecting to have major transmission work on an Explorer based product at any miles above that is a safe bet, IMHO. Again, not all STs will fail. Many, possibly even most will have transmissions that go 100k, even 200k without fail.

However, let's be honest, unless someone is beating the crap out of their transmission shouldn't we EXPECT 100k without incident and 200k without failure...and EXPECT THAT ALL THE TIME?

Lot's of people here sing the praises of FoMoCo extended warranties on their STs that they keep for high miles, and they claim and expected tranny issue as the reason.

TJR

My o2 just turned 56k and the other day I was on the freeway and it did seem to "jump" a little. I actually thought it was my imagination, but after seeing this forum I think I need to get it checked out. Is my dealer equiped th check this an possible repair it or should go to a transmission dealership?

111K, bought it used at 109K. 2002 works great!

My 01' needed a tranny rebuild at about 76,000 miles...cost about 1,250.00 or so. :(

On the other hand i have a friend that tows a boat 26' and uses his 01' for hauling stuff for work too. and not a single problem and he's got over 140,000... :D

Guess it's a hit and miss....

Good luck to you ,

rob

Latest posts