Transmission replaced

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris D

Reaction score
Transmission on my 2001 4x4 needed replacement after only 36K miles. Fortunately had an extended warranty, so only cost me the deductible. Have others had problems with so few miles? -CD

basically yes..... Especially the earlier 01 and 02 models...

Todd Z

Not replaced, but worked on. It's still in the shop(get it back on Monday). 2-3 slip, which is common(or so it seems) with this tranny. Have 58,000 on my '03 4x4. They say they are replacing the #2 solinoid, which is responsible for the 2-3 shift. Hope they do a good job... Never got the flashing OD light, but they were finally able to duplicate the slip.;)

Complete rebuild at 65K here, mine is an 01 4x4. The strange thing is I was having the sloppy 2-3 shift and it would not downshift in passing gear on the highway. The shop said there was a ton of metal shavings and gasket material when they drained the fluid. Oh well.

My tranny has nearly 150,000 miles on it, and it's still going strong as well (must be one of the lucky ones)...:D

I have a 2001 4wd (purchased Oct / 2000)...

Chuck,

I JUST had my solenoid valve body replaced on my 2001 4x4 with 80k miles on it with the flashing O/D light of death. Cost me $952 for the solenoid, 2 gaskets, a screen, and labor.

Guys, I have an 01' 2wd ST, with 116,968 miles, and my OD light came on on a Saturday morning just as I was about to drive it! I had just finished figuring out where the horn fuses were and how to check the horn, and cranked it up to drive out and there was the dreaded flashing of the light! Out of curiosity, I drove it about a hundred feet in the parking lot and it had some hesitation and slowness to it so I parked it asap and went on this site to find some owner info on that issue. From this site I found that it was not a good thing to see. Hopefully it won't cost a mint. Good thing is that Ford Credit is going to defer a couple of payments to help the fix! (Maybe they know the scoop on this issue!)

Wow Mark, I have a 2001 4x4 built on 10/2000. 60K pretty solid, although the 2-3 flare did begin last year. I drive it like a sunovabench.

Maybe we should start tracking tranny issues for our reference, like we do MPG.

We have just over 90,000 on our 2003, which we picked up on New Year's Eve 2002. 90,000 miles in 34 months gives you 2,647 miles per month. Add another 2 years to equal the 2001, and you get a total of 153,529 miles. So I guess I don't think Mark drives more than is reasonable!

And our transmission still shifts just fine. A drain plug allows me to change the fluid in the pan as often as I like.

Hi All,

Yep...

I'm a road dog...

For my job (ERP programmer/analyst), I usually travel from San Ysidro (which is right by the US/Mexico border) to various parts of Los Angeles twice a week (sometimes more), visiting customers who operate our software (sometimes as far as Santa Barbara)...:angry:

I also make 8 to 12 trips annually to Mammoth Mountain for some snowboarding in the winter and fly fishing/camping in the summer...:D

I also make 12 to 16 trips annually to Big Bear for the same activities...:D

I also make 2 to 4 trips to Utah to fly fish the Provo & Green, and during the winter I like going to Park City for snowboarding...:D

So, I drive her pretty hard...:cool:

She's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned...:wub:

I've only owned a couple of other vehicles for a short time, Toyota extended cab 4wd and a F-150 extended cab with the 3rd door 2wd...

Latest posts