Transmission shift computer location?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
Is the shift computer it's own separate module from the EEC? If so, where is it located? I think my problems are completely computer issues, and I believe the shift module is going out.

In the main computer.....

There is separate for ABS, climate, theft....

Can you get a new Xcal tune from a tuner and try that......

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should've said electronic issues, because I'm also looking at the solenoids.

I've thought about that, and right now I'm kinda pointed towards either the heat we're having being an issue, or possibly defective shift solenoids. I noticed, the transmission doesn't start this crap until later in the day when it's warmed up. I didn't have an ounce of trouble on the way to work today, but I couldn't keep it from slipping gears last night on my way home. But I don't know for sure. Either way, it needs attention soon.

What fluid do you have in it ??

When you did the last filter change, did you use the correct bolt and the proper rubber orings...

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
Larry,

Whenever people start having delayed shift, slip, lurch from park to reverse, etc, I first assume solenoids...especially if it's a Ford tranny.

It's kind of like when I see a hoof print I think horse not zebra. It seems to be the more common thing.

TJR

There are three Fords scattered throughout my family and the solenoids have gone in 2 of them. One an 01 explorer and then my 03 trac and the 99 Expedition just got a new tranny.