Transmission shifting

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Lavoie

Reaction score
My new 07 ST V8 (1,500 miles) transmission seems to take too long to shift between 1, 2 and 3rd. I make sure I use a VERY LIGHT FOOT but is seems to rev out to 2,500 - 3,000 rpm before it shifts.

Is this normal?

Curious

The trasns mission has a high gearing in it, and the rear is a low 3:55, It will cause the shifts to be higher....

Todd Z

It seems to shift this way when the tranny is cold. Once I've driven a little while, it seems to shift a lower RPM.

Maybe I'm just imagining it. Hmmm

Thanks

Most cars computers are designed to allow the motor when cold to shift slightly higher to help warm up the engine to get the emissions system to operating temp...

You could be looking and seeing that..

Todd Z

Jimmy.....

Your not alone, my '07 V8 does exactly the same thing when the engine is cold....Todd explaned the symptom cause to a "T" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say - I'm new to this site - just around 1 week now. I ALWAYS joined sites when I get a new vehicle - it has great information.

THIS SITE however, is by FAR the best. You guys (and gals) have been a wealth of information - even if my questions seem stupid, you always answer in detail to help me understand.

Thanks to ALL for your help - what a family!