Transmission Trouble?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob C 2

Reaction score
I've recently noticed that while sitting at stop lights & drive-thrus with the brake depressed my S/T will often feel like it wants to die. It is erratic in occurrence. A friend of mine suggested that it might be transmission related and as a test, whenever it started to do this, I dropped it into Neutral. Voila! No more trouble. I've tested several times since and each time when I go to Neutral, the lurching/choking stops.

Any ideas what this could be? My S/T has 73K miles, 2001, 4x4. Before I go to a shop, I'd like to know if there is something I could try to fix on my own like a filter or something. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Rob

I wouldn't suspect the trans right away. Your idle is coming back up because you released all resistance by putting it in neutral.

I would check air filter, IAC cleaning or MAF sensor cleaning first.

Sounds like the classic cracked elbow vacuum leak or bad battery connection. I have had both happen to my trac.

-The first time it was corroded battery terminals/ bad battery which the trac at a stop would start to idle erratically like it was stalling and then would over compensate.

-The time the vacuum elbow went it had a rough idle and hesitation on hard acceleration and when I popped the hood I could hear the leak loud and clear.

keep on trac'n

-Don D.

Good Luck! Mine was the transmission w/same symptons yesterday morning & to top that off my ST was rear ended by a 16 yr. old on the way to Mr. Transmission. Rebuilt Trans $2,192 & $1,148.26 damages to ST. My ST died @ a red light & the kid rear ended my while I was sitting w/emergency flashers on trying to restart it. The kid had insurance.