Transmission Warranty, Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george linck

Reaction score
My 02 has 42,500, so I'm out of warranty by 6K and 6 months. My O/D light was flashing so I took it in. The service tech says I have a major problem that will cost $1,700 to fix or replace the tranny for $3,200. The service manager will halve the 1,700 since I'm a good customer. How could it be that major with only 42K? Any TSB's? Anybody have any suggestions. I think Ford should pay for it!

$850 isn't bad. The problem with the trannys is common. The throttle body is likely stuck. My local Ford dealer told me it is caused by the rust inhibitor in the Mercon V fluid put in by Ford.

The major problem appears to be sticking shift solenoids and valves in the valve body (hydrolic brain of the transmission) When the solenoids stick the transmission is slow shifting from one gear to the next gear and this causes slipping. The slipping creates excessive heat and wear on the transmission clutches and bands and shortens the life of the transmission fluid, which increases the slipping problems.

If it was caught soon enough, they may be able to just replace the valve body and solenoid packs. People have had that done for about $400-$450. However if the bands and clutches have been worn, then the transmission needs to be dismantled and rebuilt. Most people have paid about $2500 for Ford to replace/rebuild the transmission.

...Rich