Transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross Perry

Reaction score
Well today I replaced my transmission filter and added back in new fluid. Hoping it would fix my problem, that's a no go.

So here's my problem. Going from 1st gear to 2nd ONLY I hear a high pitch noise for about a second or 2. Every gear change after that is fine. Just going from 1st to 2nd. Have no idea if this is slipping or something else. Can feel it also it's not really bad but you can feel it.

Anyone have an ideas and if it is how much do you think it'll cost to get it fixed?

Get it looked at quick. Is the OD light flashing? That's a big sign of a major tranny problem. The trannys in the Gen 1s were not great, as you can read about here, but getting them looked at fast when a problem pops up is the best way to keep from maybe having to replace one, which is REALLY expensive.

Problems with the 5R55 transmission in these Tracs are well known. Do a 'net search and you'll see. IMO most result from lack of fluid maintenance. You're prolly looking at need for rebuild or replacement, a major expense.

Sorry this took so long to reply back about this problem, it seems to have fixed it's self after a while. It no longer makes the noise it was making and have not had any problems since it stopped.

Latest posts