Transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Heya... I am having a problem with my transmission, I have a 2001 Trac, and been fine till now, it seems to switch gears from 2nd to 3rd very delayed, and rough, and sometimes my O/D light flashes... I heard a buddy @ work had to replace a part in his tranny cause of the same type of problem, and he says it cost him $2400CAN to repair... This is insane, im sure I can get an even better tranny and install it myself for cheaper than that... anyone know where I can find a good tranny for a sport trac?

Thanks!

Chris,

That's becoming an all too common problem, especially with the earlier models after they reach the 60K-75K mile marks.

The most common problem for the slipping during shifts between 2-3 gear is solenoids sticking in the valve body. The typical repair is to replace the valve body and one or all of the electric solenoid valves. Typical repair prices are about $400-$450.

If you let it go too long it will quickly burn out the bands and clutches, and then the price goes way up to about $2400 for a rebuilt transmission. Some places won't mess with just replacing the valvebody/solenoids since the bands and clutches may already be shot.

...Rich

Ya, im at around 90,000km on the vehicle now... I have seen rebuilt trannys on ebay for the 01 trac, and they are only charging $750, and can get an optional 4year extended warranty on the rebuilt tranny... This may be a way to go if its gone too far as it is.

Also, if I was to find a wrecked Trac, is it a HUGE ordeal to remove a tranny, and put it back in? Ive never done it, but I am pretty gifted with my hands ;) I would much rather do this myself than pay $100/hr for someone to do it.

Chris, I can find you good used trannys all day long. Some rebuilt as well.

As noted above, the specific tranny we have is not great. Not much we can do about it..

Some go for ever, some die around 60,000 miles.

It is just one of those things in our case.

If you would like some prices vs. mileage let me know. I'll be glad to shoot you a list of what is available..

Please email me @ [email protected] with any info you have...

I guess the only 2 questions i'd have in buying a rebuilt, or used tranny is....

I live in Canada ( how much for shipping here ) (Calgary, AB T2A 2S7)

and...

If I was to get a used tranny w/ under 70k or so, how do I know it wont just crap out on my when it gets there?

Thanks!

The most honest answer.... You don't...

That said, I Will NEVER sell you a part that does not come with a coverage of some form and or offer you the opportunity to buy some form of protection if the part does not come with coverage.

I'll run a search in the morning for you and let you know some figures.

If any of them sound good to you let me know and then I'll contact the supplier via the phone and confirm the Mileage, Price, warranty and freight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, there are some big wrecking yards in Edmonton that have ST's. Grab the calgary yellow pages and call the edmonton ones that are listed in the Calgary pages, those are the big ones. It will be easier then dealing with customs etc.

Chris, here are th options for your uear. Which do you have??

A.T., 4 Dr, Sport Trac, 4x2, ID XL2P-CA (thru 7/23/00)

A.T., 4 Dr, Sport Trac, 4x4, ID XL2P-DA (thru 7/23/00)

A.T., 4 Dr, Sport Trac, 4x2, ID 1L5P-DA (from 7/24/00)

A.T., 4 Dr, Sport Trac, 4x4, ID 1L5P-EA (from 7/24/00)