transmission

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juan Sanchez

Reaction score
hey guys does anyone know about camaro transmission. My girlfriend has a 1998 chevy camaro 3.8l v6 and once in a while it will shift hard to 1st to 2nd gear. When ever it starts to shifts hard i just turn off the car and turn it back on and I'll run fine agian. It only does this during the 1st and 2nd gear but it runs fine after that.

I assume you checked the fluid level??...

My blazer did that once in a while... Get a bottle of the trans medic (yellow) bottle in the parts store, not the one for leaks!!!! but the one for shifting and lubrication. Add that and see what happens...

Todd Z

IT SEEMS TO ME YOU HAVE TO SELL UR CAMERO, AND STOP SAYING IT BELONGS TO YOUR SMART, INTELLIGENT GIRLFRIEND, WHO IT APPEARS TO ME WOULD ONLY BUY A SPORT TRAC HERSELF. HENCE THE CAMARO IS YOURS!

It's a problem with the 4L60E trans in my GMC as well. It only happens when it gets hot, so I try to keep it from getting hot. What happens is the valve that controls the torque converter lockup wears out the valve body, which lets fluid past so it leaks down. Then the torque converter lockup lets go, and the trans "brain" has to lock it up again. It will only do this a few times until it decides there is a problem and puts the trans in panic mode, with full line pressure at all times. That 1-2 shift is the only real hard one, but the other shifts are still a lot firmer than before. Shutting it off for a minute resets everything, so it goes back to normal. The only real "cure" is to fix the valve body, but a trans cooler will help.