Trany needs overhaul

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jose Ayala

Reaction score
Updating on what has happened so far, Ford shop called today and said tranny does not drives good after valve cover was replaced, ( i think I am mentioning the correct part) and now they need to estimate how much will be to repair complete tranny. The issue is, after they do the estimate, there maybe a posibility of having an inspector coming to review damages and if they see my aftermarket rims, my cold air intake, etc. they may decline the warranty and I will be ending paying out of pocket for repairs. :angry:

Well, so good for extended warranty! Will see what happens. They even mentioned my tranny pan, which helps the tranny allowing lesss heat, o well.:eek:

Jose

It is the valve body.....

Second, They should have replaced the electrical solenoids also. That will probably fix it..

As far as the rims and intake, they MUST PROVE 100% that the rims and intake damaged the tranny, and they CAN NOT.... No intake will damage a tranny, and NO average rims will do damage either..

Todd Z

Jose, I got the same crap from 3 Ford dealers about tearing down the tranny for $400.00 and then "maybe" it will be covered. They knew (although they wouldn't say they did) exactly what the problem was. As far as I'm concerned, it should be covered, period.

As much as I love my Trac, it will be the last Ford I own.

Good Luck,

Mike

Ford dealer charged me $89 for a wheel alignment and balance of my '07 Trac when it had 5,000 miles on it. I asked them to cover it under warranty because it vibrated from Day 1 and had uneven tire wear. They said alignments and wheel balancing is NEVER covered under warranty. I thought this was petty and told them so.

Gavin, that was a lie, it says right in the warranty book that alignment is covered for the first 20,000 km's. (12,000 miles).

I will know tomorrow, by then I will receive the estimate and will know if it is below the pre approved dollar amount and if so, no issues and the tranny will be fix but if the amount goes above the pre certified amount, I may face this adjuster guy/gal and will see.

I will keep you all posted.

jose

Definately fight it Jose if they try to pull that crap. Tell them to prove that the rims and such were the factor that caused the problem. They won't be able to.;)

The reason for the tranny teardown is to check the wear/damage to the clutches and bands caused by the slipping. Yes, the problem is caused by the valvebody, either by a leaking gasket or more often sticking solenoid valves. Both conditions cause the transmission to slip during shifts and to shift sluggishly. That slipping caused excessive heat on the clutches and bands which leads to more slipping, etc.

Replacing the valvebody and solenoid pack will fix the problem only if it was caught in time and the clutches and bands have not been excessively damaged.

The valvebody and solenoids can be replaced by just dropping the transmission pan, but the internal clutches and bands require the transmission to be removed and dismantled for inspection.

Some members hav had the valvbody replaced without replacing the solenoids and the tranny failed again. Others have had the solenoids replaced but not the valvebody, and they tranny failed. There are still others who have had the solenoids and valvebody replaced and the tranny still failed because of other damaged parts caused by the slipping that originated with the valvebody.

That's why I always recommend that you replace the valvebody and solenoid pack at the first sign of slipping during shifts.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
What is odd about these trans failures is that. I have friends and family that had and still have the Explorers with the same transmision. Some have racked up 200k miles. With only fluid and filter changes. None have been flushed. No problems like the trac has, "WHY"?:wacko: